1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius for sale in MN

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by tmjt4, Oct 28, 2005.

1. tmjt4

tmjt4 New Member

Hi All, We purchased a used 2004 Silver Prius in March so we had another vehicle when our kids were working this summer and the waiting list here in Minneapolis was anywhere from four to twelve months. Just after we bought it we thought that with resale value being so high we should get the color we prefer on a new one. We picked up our 2005 SeaSide Pearl at the end of July and our car budget is just a little too tight. I had lilsted the car on CarSoup and Cars.com but found the response to be very weak. Do you have any suggestions on how to sell our 2004 Prius? We purchased it from Rudy Luther Toyota in Golden Valley, MN and had the Certified Pre-Owned inspection done so it has the extended power-train warranty out to six years, 100,000 miles, offers road side assistance and is transferrable. It has the GPS navigation system and six disc in-dash cd changer and is a pleasure to drive. Three days ago I had an oil change done and also had the recall work done to fix the gasoline engine quiting at highway speeds. In over 7,000 miles that we have driven it we have never had a problem with the car. I have also added a 1 1/4" reciever trailer hitch to the car so we can use our bike rack and it is very useful. I have checked Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds to set an asking price of $23,800 but make me an offer after you have seen it. Thanks, Tom

2. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think you'll have to bite the bullet and put an overpriced ad in the Star Tribune classified.

If you don't want to fool around any more (or want a benchmark), you could try any Walser dealership, as they'll give you a written estimate that is good for 30 days either as a trade-in, or they will buy it for cash at that price.

You're sort of at the mercy and mood of whomever does the appraisal, but I would think you'd be likely to get the most bux from a Toyota dealer. I traded in my 2004 Prius (bought in 11/03, had 13,000 miles at trade-in 12/04) on a 2005 at Walser Bloomington Toyota, and they gave me exactly what I paid for it: 20 grand. (It was a package 0 TRAC).

My 2005 was sold to me at 500 under MSRP, which is what they were charging everyone who got on the waiting list back in 1/05, so the trade value on the 2004 is an accurate one. I think they listed my car at $23k and sold it pretty quickly. Perhaps I could've sold it privately for close to that, but I saved $1400 in sales taxes and advertising costs, so I was very happy.

Good luck. I think you should be able to get your 23k or pretty close to that, even on a 2004, given the low mileage, extended warranty, options, and the long waiting list (I'm told 4-6 months currently, as I just got on a couple to get a 2006 for my wife) in the Twin Cities.

rpm

(EDIT - I mistakenly thought you only have 7000 miles on the car on first reading; 27k is quite different...I think I'd aim to sell it for closer to 20, but who knows?)