1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 prius Hit a tree... Made repairs... Now warning lights!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bobg1400, Oct 19, 2010.

1. bobg1400

bobg1400 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, So a few weeks ago my father ended up hitting a tree around 15mph on only the passenger side front tire.
    Damage:
    Bent control arm
    Snapped Tie rod
    Bent Strut
    Bent Axle.
    So far I have replaced all items (Does not include cosmetics). Every single one wasn't to hard except for the Drive shaft, Which we ended up using a come-a-long on it with my car pulled the opposite way. After adding more Trans-axle Fluid and "Bleeding the Brakes"I took it for a small drive down the road. The first thing I noticed was my engine would not turn off (ICE). Second a few warning lights were on as followed:
    Brake
    ((!))
    VCS
    ABS

I am not sure of the problem... I have an idea that it may be in the brakes because It doesn't quite feel the same.
    I also just found out that there is a special way you have to bleed the brake on a prius, unlike on other cars where you pump and hold. Any information would be amazing!!!! I would like to start driving this to college!!!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you allowed any air into the brake system via the brake fluid reservoir, then you'll need to tow the car to your local Toyota dealer for assistance. It is necessary to use the Toyota diagnostic laptop to exercise the various solenoids within the brake pressure accumulator.

3. bobg1400

bobg1400 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I never allowed the Reservoir to run low. It had to have come from the line. Even then what dangers do I risk if I drive it to the dealership. Also, how much would the bleeding cost and would that take care of the lights???

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, one danger is that the brake system might not work.

My guess is that the brake bleeding will cost you ~$200.

If that is the only problem your car has, then that will take care of the warning lights. If your car has other problems with the hybrid drivetrain (which is possible since you say the engine runs continuously) then you'll hopefully receive a diagnosis of those problems.

5. bobg1400

bobg1400 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Well, The brakes seem to work. Just the lights are on. The other thing I noticed was while I was stopped, no matter how hard I pressed the brake, I could not stop the electric motor from giving power to the wheels.