1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius: Keyless Entry Stopped Working, but Smart Entry Works.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fugie, Apr 15, 2018.

1. fugie

fugie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi there-

Roughly two weeks ago, I started getting the single beep noise when I shut down my 2004 Prius, so went to local CVS and bought a Duracell CR2032 battery, and replaced the old battery in my FOB. Everything was good until today. The key was in my pants pocket as I pulled into a parking space. I leaned forward to press the park button, when suddenly the panic alarm went off. I pulled the key from my pants pocket and depressed the panic button and nothing happened. Then I decided to stick the FOB in the FOB slot of the dashboard. I pressed the power button on the car and the panic alarm stopped.

NOW... The Keyless Entry doesn't work with the FOB. I can use Smart Entry, but the buttons on the FOB don't seem to work to unlock or lock the car. I can still turn on and turn off my car with the FOB in the car, but am unable to use keyless entry.

My spare FOB still works for Keyless Entry and Smart Entry.

Did I somehow unprogram my Keyless Entry feature or is the FOB broken?

Thanks for your help!

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:
    • What is the voltage of the new fob battery?
    • Have you tried swapping batteries between your usual fob and the spare?
    • Are there any sticking buttons on your usual fob?
    • Where do you store your fob at night?
    Keep us posted (y).

JC91006 and SFO like this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost 100% certain that it is the panic button stuck down.

There are threads here that give you the details on how to unstuck that button. Click inside the search box at the top of any page, then click the "More..." button. Then select the advanced search option, add your search keywords, and limit the search to the Gen 2 forums, with the "Search child forums as well" option selected.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. Make sure there are no sticking buttons on the keyfob, if there is a sticking button, you can gently pry it loose with an exacto knife.
    2. If the keyless functions still doesn't return, you can do the "chicken dance" technique using the working spare fob to reprogram the one that is not working properly.

What's the difference between keyless entry and smart entry?

Raytheeagle likes this.