1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius: My Ongoing Maintenance Costs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SageBrush, Mar 21, 2011.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think most Prius owners find that Prius upkeep is remarkably inexpensive, but there is nothing like a picture :)
    I have included all costs over the 6.5 years and 122k miles of ownership thus far, from wiper refills to tyres. I have excluded a coolant exchange and removal of a spark plug fragment that were both due to my stupidity. Repair costs thus far are zero.

The spikes in cost are tyres. Note a few things:
    1. This graphic shows the average cost per month as time progresses; it is not the amount spent each month.
    2. In terms of total travel so far, this works out quite closely to one US penny a mile.
    3. This is my DIY costs.
    4. As of 3/2011 tyres have about 50% wear, and the extensive 120k maintenance is complete.
    5. The first set of tyre costs were retrospectively discounted for warranty of premature wear.
    6. Of the ~ $1250 spent through 3/2011, $550 was tyres and $108 was for a pump recall I could have let Toyota pay through a dealership repair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  2. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a graph Bob Wilson would have been proud of.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I gotta say, my dyslexic brain translated Running $/month to Running Smooth

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do you manage $15 oil changes? Does that include a filter? It cost me $10 per liter and it require three liters plus $6 for a filter! :eek: Hal

5. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sagebrush siphons fresh oil from Suburbans :p

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    :D

Hal,
    I don't know if Canada has something similar --
    I am notified by email when a store has oil on sale from a 'deals' website called fatwallet.com that is US centric. I stock up for a couple years at a time, and usually end up spending USD $2-3 quart for ACEA A1/A5 synthetic. Years ago I bought a box of OEM oil filters and washers online at the same time I bought the parts needed for the 120k maintenance extravaganza.

Since the Prius and I are in a competition to see who dies last, I am comfortable buying quantity or for use years in the future.

1 person likes this.
  7. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well it certainly appears to be paying off! siphons from Suburbans,Grin> Hal

8. olerox

olerox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks SageBrush! Like my mama always said, "Do I have to draw you a damned diagram"? I like a picture and your chart tells a very comforting story.

I am inspired by your stocking up on car parts when they are cheap, anticipating the Prius to last and last.