1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Oil Filter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by terkar, Aug 23, 2004.

1. terkar

terkar New Member

Just got my oil changed and have a question concerning the filter.

Quite sometime ago someone, I think it might have been John mentioned that the proper oil filter for the 2004 Prius was Part # 9091510003. He further said to be sure the dealer does not use the filter for the classic Prius. Well....I the service center at my Toyota Dealer to be sure to use the correct filter - gave him the part #. When the job was completed I noticed that the part used was part #90915-YZZA-2. When I questioned this the shop manager said they only use two types of filters one with and one without the checkvalve?? He said the part # I had was for the Japanese filter - he further said not to worry they know which filter to use, etc, etc. Well, I am a bit worried. Can anyone shed some light on this?? John! Where are you?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    To get my attention, you have to shine a light in the shape of a Prius onto the clouds...

http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-oilchange.htm details the oil change stuff I know.

As for the filter differences. 10003 is only available in Japan. It has a sunken interior. Why? We don't know. But apparently, that 1/2 inch doesn't seem to matter. The YZZA2 is what we have to use in the United States, since that is what the dealers keep in stock. It is flush, rather than sunken.

I've driven over 60,000 miles (combined) with the YZZA2 filter. So there is nothing to worry about.

3. terkar

terkar New Member

John 1701a: :D :D Thanks for a very clear and concise response, I knew you would come thru. No worrys now!

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Any diff between YZZA2 and YZZA1?

-Rick

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

they interchange on the Prius. There was a bunch of banter on this back in March or April.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I thought I remembered. It's what the parts dept sold me, so I wanted to make sure. The check-list for the oil change mentioned the 2 as well.