1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Rear LED Brake & Fog Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Chuck Haines, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Chuck Haines

Chuck Haines New Member

A couple of streets near me is a beautiful red 2004 Prius with LED brake lights. I visited my Toyota dealership today to see how much the LED lights would cost as it was evident to me the LED break lights really stood out from a safety perspective. The dealership could not locate a part number for LED lights. Are they an after market accessory?

Does anyone have the fog lamps and if so do they make a big difference to have them on at night. Are they worth $350 or so to have them added to the car?

Thanks/BRgds

Chuck

2. WirelessToy

WirelessToy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you check you will see that the 2004 Prius comes standard with LED rear brake lights. the rear running light is a conventional bulb but the brake lights are not.

As for the fog lights they really aren't that effective and probably aren't worth adding on at a cost of $300. There are probably better more effective aftermarket units available a less cost.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

it appears that the LED's are installed in the actual light assy and don't appear to be replaceable. The life expectancy of LED's is really long so I would suppose that's the reason Toyota encased them in the light assy. When I had a first hand chance to see it I wasn't looking for the brake lights, so can't positively say that's the way they are but from the parts breakdown they're not listed.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought LEDs are standard too.. or.. they are supposed to be. Your Right and Left breaklight consist of 5 LEDs a piece. They are laying down facing the sky.. reflectors split up the light and directs it to the person behind you. This is a simple way of not having to make your rear lights red (Cadillacs) and it makes the angle you can see them at greater. Plus, with only 5 LEDs on each side.. plus the 6? in the center? you're still probably using less than volt... why they didn't do LEDs in the other lights.. no clue. They should have. The response time on an LED to turn on is almost instant. Normal lights have to "light" so it takes a sec to recognize they turned on. That few seconds makes a difference.

As for the fog lights. I have the Xenon HIDs.... fog lights do nothing for me because my lights are 2x the brightness of any halogen. I can still see when the fogs are on.. i simply have a little more light near the car... If you were to have standard lights.. i would recommend the fogs.. and get some nice PIAA lights to go in them. Make sure they are nice whites.. yellow looks stupid.. especialy when you have HIDs... so right now.. my fogs look lame.

5. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    LEDs cost a lot more than incandescent bulbs.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 6 LED's on each side, not 5. They are stacked in a triangle in a 1, 2, 3 fashion.

I met a guy last night at the Sierra Club event in OC who replaced his fogs with 55w Xenon looking bulbs - they looked brighter and almost matched the color of the HID's. His cost was $40 installed and they looked pretty good.

7. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about the misscount. I was pretty tired yesterday.

I know LEDs cost more.. but who cares.. the car would be a little bit more efficient on saving electricity. You may not recognize the difference.. so maybe it's an " o well" situation.

Go to your local store to pick up some super bright white bulbs. They cost only the $40 bucks... or.. for several hundred you could change them to Xenon Gas HIDs... but that would be very pointless if you have the HIDs already. If you want you can get a cool blue even... some people find it entertaining.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've considered swapping the regular bulbs out for LED modules in the front and rear turn signals as well as tail lights. I like the near instant on/off effect of LED's vs. the ramp-up and fade of regular bulbs.

Wonder if they have bright white LED's that could take the place of the fog lamps?

9. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of the most expensive LEDs are white... so expect to pay a lot for some that bright. For example.. the new streetlights are that bright. I'm sure they get them for around a dollar a peice or less though.