1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 prius take to dealer immediately warning light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BH1973, Jul 15, 2011.

1. BH1973

BH1973 Junior Member

I own a 2004 Prius with about 122000 miles. Today I was driving up a steep gravel driveway, going very slowly and slipping a little. The VSC light was blinking and then the car came to a stop. At that time, the big red warning light came and check engine light came on along with a message on the info screen reading "Problem". AND most distrurbing of all, a pinkish car symbol warning with an exclamation mark through it that the manual tells me to take it to the dealerer IMMEDIATELY. Yikes!

Anyway, the car is running okay it seems (I'm parked) but does not appear to be charging. The gas engine turns off as soon as I take my foot off the pedal.

Any ideas? I'm 25 miles from a dealer and freaking out a bit.

Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the car can be driven then I suggest you visit your Toyota dealer ASAP. If it cannot be driven then have it towed. Good luck.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    If you are near Sanford, NC, Taylor Automotive is a great independent Prius repair facility.

JeffD

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Inverter coolant pump failure?

5. BH1973

BH1973 Junior Member

Bingo - inverter water pump failed. I called for a tow but they sent a taxi, so rather than wait another hour and pay $100 I decided to risk the 18 miles to the dealership. 90 mins later it was fixed and I was on my way. Bryan Easler in Hendersonville - great service. It actually couldn't have happened at a better time because tomorrow I have a 250mile drive back to chapel hill. And I never could seem to get around to getting this done. Hopefully that's it for recall issues - this was the fourth one (early software issue, steering column issue, carpet-brake pedal, and inverter pump).