1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius - water damage to communication wiring from faulty windshield?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by guitarek, Nov 5, 2013.

1. guitarek

guitarek New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. Has anyone encountered this problem or heard of anything about it? I have a 2004 Prius CVT-E with 160,000 miles. It gave me the check engine lights and after I drove it for a mile, it ran out of power and wouldn't accelerate, though it kept starting. After towing it to the dealer, they said there was a "loss of communication with ECMs and RCM junction connector for J18 for communication line due to water damaged from windshield leaking and shorting connector and junction block." There was also water damage to the carpet and headliner assembly (it was raining that day). They said that the windshield must've been installed improperly at some point, but I don't remember ever having to replace the windshield.

So is it possible that they can tell that the windshield was different from the original, and has anyone heard of any problems with original windshields? Also, has anyone encountered any problems similar to this or any tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Where are you located (its usually indicated in your profile)? There are a small number of shops that specialize in bringing salvaged Prii back to life. One of them may be a better option than a dealer to do this repair.

JeffD

3. guitarek

guitarek New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Detroit area, Michigan.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There is a great resource in Southern Indiana. Contact Steve at Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV who rebuilds wrecked Prii. He is very knowledgeable, honest and reasonably priced.

JeffD

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The windshield has markings which show its manufacturer. Usually original equipment windshields will have a TOYOTA label as well as a label showing the glass manufacturer's name.

I have not heard of anyone having a problem with an original equipment windshield installation. If there was a problem it should normally show up during the 3-year, 36K mile warranty period.