1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius with 50k mile...should I buy a warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by erniescanyon, Mar 30, 2012.

1. erniescanyon

erniescanyon New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect most people will think a warranty is a good idea, but I'm curious for opinions since it would be great to save the cash.

I just drove away with a 2004 Prius with only 50k miles. This was from a certified Toyota dealer who put it through all the usual tests and maintenance. Vehicle has been regularly serviced and it looks to be in perfect condition.

Question:
    Was is smart economics to pay $1600 for a 4 year/48k mile full warranty? I don't want to take a big gamble but what do you think the probability is that we will have a mechanical problem that costs more than this amount in the next 3-4 years?

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There are a few postings in the Newbie forum about the Warranty, but don't forget, you can get the warranty from here as well. Also, this is the Prius v forum, so better answers might be found in the Prius Gen II forum or the Newbie Forum.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The chances are small. Remember that warranties are priced to make a nice profit for the seller, not for the buyer.