1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Won’t Start, malfunctioned mid drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Brayden Sailer, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Brayden Sailer

Brayden Sailer New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a 2004 Prius with 251,000 miles on it. I bought it a couple months ago and replaced the hybrid battery since it was giving the code for the dead battery. Along with some other tune up maintenance, the car has been running great. Yesterday I was driving to the store with cruise set at 50mph and i looked down and noticed the red triangle was on and my speedo had disappeared. A second later it beeped, went into neutral, and all the error lights were on and nothing happened if i hit the gas. I coasted to a stop and then turned it off and it wouldnt turn back on. So now when i hit the power button it flashes some lights on the dash for a split second but ultimately does nothing. I just put the 12v on a charger last night and its reading 12.49 volts and 500cca, but still nothing. When i push the power without the brake applied the MFD and radio power on, but no lights on the dash. Heres a link to a vid of what happens. I couldnt find anyone with similar or same symptoms on a gen2 prius. Any help would be appreciated. I dont even know where to start.

2. Brayden Sailer

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Also, my code reader wont connect despite accessory mode somewhat working. So i am unable to read any codes if there are any

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Us the cat red on MFD display .inverter pump possibly ?

4. Brayden Sailer

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I actually had to replace the inverter pump after replacing the hybrid battery. However when that part was malfunctioning, the car would still drive and function properly until the inverter got hot (i assume) and then it would go into gas engine only mode.

I just got a brand new 12v and the car still wont start, despite this being many peoples solution to this strange problem. how am i able to check that the inverter pump is working? I dont want to buy a new one just because.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the voltage at the jump point under the hood to make sure all your connections and wiring are okay

6. Brayden Sailer

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I found the AM2 15 amp fuse under the hood was blown. replaced it, started the car, blew right away. disconnected the inverter coolant pump, car started and could shift but with warning lights. i moved the car into the garage and got warranty replacement on the inverter pump. just put the new one in and the car runs so far. so it seems to me that this specific fault of no start is because the car does not want to overheat the inverter…

So if your prius doesnt start the AM2 fuse is something I would check.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! is that an oem pump from a dealer?

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This fault is that the AM2 fuse supplies ignition power to a bunch of things via the IG2 relay.

Blown fuse = no power = not turning on.

I second the thought - hope you installed a Toyota part. Aftermarket pumps have poor reputation.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. Brayden Sailer

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No. The replacement first time was a beck and arnley which i found out needed replacing after i started driving with the reman hybrid battery. hopefully the warranty replacement lasts more than two months

10. Brayden Sailer

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If the beck arnley pump fails again i’ll get a toyota part and suck it up.

bisco likes this.