1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius won’t start, new 12v battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nanoose34, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Nanoose34

Nanoose34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday I woke up to find my car not starting, or turning on at all. The doors wouldn’t unlock, nothing was working at all. The battery had died a couple times in the last 2 months (jumpstarted got it going again), so I figured I needed a new battery. After the battery was installed, the power button would go green with one push, then flash orange once with a second push and do nothing (other than a faint whirring). The other electronics in the car still are not working. I also discovered that my dad had picked up a battery for a 2001 model (which explains the difficulty I had fitting it in!). Are the batteries compatible , or do you think I have something more nefarious going on? I’m out of work due to COVID shut downs and really would like to avoid taking it in if at all possible. I’m thinking a fuse maybe? If so, any suggestions for which to check? Thanks in advance

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the batteries will work, don't know about safety though.

try holding the power buton for awhile and see if anything happens.

you might want to check the connections, especially neg cable to ground, then test the battery with a volt meter. some new ones come discharged or defective

3. Nanoose34

Nanoose34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the quick reply! I did try the power button tip earlier, will check the ground when my kid goes for his nap . Cheers, thanks again

bisco likes this.