1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by boods, Jul 30, 2007.

1. boods

boods New Member

Hi All:
    would appreciate any advice on a 2004 Prius; I am interested in buying it but is unsure of the problems to expect with the high mileage; the car is in excellent condition and well kept; I am familiar with traditonal high mileage cars and what to look for, but since the prius is fairly new to the market there isn't much information on high mileage older Prius Cars;
    thanks

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not much really. If you can find out where it was serviced and make sure it's had all the TSBs (esp. see if it had the MFD replaced) and recall work done that would be good. Make sure it had all the routine services done.

If they did not change out the PSD fluid yet I would either ask that they do as part of the purchase or have it done right away once you get the car. There are growing senses that waiting the Toyota recommended 100k miles might not be the best idea.

The brakes should be in great shape. The 12v battery might be nearing the end of it's functional life if it has never been replaced...something to have checked when you take it in for inspection.

The HV battery should have another 150-200k miles or more left in it. Other than that I'd just enjoy the car.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boods @ Jul 30 2007, 11:26 PM) [snapback]487805[/snapback]</div>
    Listen to the doctor (EFusco). These are great cars and will give good service if well maintained. My 2004 is now at 91,000 miles with almost no problems and yes I changed out the ATF (Type WS) at 61,000 miles.

JeffD (another doctor - of engineering)

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As with any car:
    Research the VIN to make sure it's not a salvage.
    Pay a mechanic (in this case a Prius certified mech, so probably a Toyota dealer) to check over the car before you buy it, to be sure there are no non-obvious problems. Also have them check Toyota's records to see whether all required recall work has been performed (there were a few recalls or "TSBs" applicable to some 2004s).

5. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 31 2007, 01:20 AM) [snapback]487859[/snapback]</div>

ditto..

114K and no problems..