1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Put it back together now won't start!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by trseven, Mar 1, 2012.

1. trseven

trseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently purchased a 2004 Prius at a insurance auction. It took a deer to the hood but ran and drove. I drove it off the trailer and into my garage. I noticed the inverter pump top was broken off so I didn’t run it long. Disconnected the 12V and pulled the battery pack interlock. It sat for about a month as I repaired the radiator support. I did remove the inverter during the repair. I’ve got it back together, new radiator, fan unit, and condenser. New inverter pump. Reinstalled pack interlock and connected the 12V. I pushed the start button twice without pushing on the brake to run the inverter pump to fill the system. Placed a jump start battery on the 12V. Ran a clear hose to the bleed screw to remove the air. Ran the inverter pump a while, probably 20 to 30 minutes. Filled the radiator and tried to start it but got the triangle and a hybrid problem light (car with a ! through it?) A few more attempts were made till I figured out the 12V was low and started getting the park on level ground and put on the parking brake message. I’ve charged both back up and disconnected and reconnected the 12V several times but nothing close to starting. I’ve connected a scan gauge and the pack reads 218V. No codes but tried force clear on the scan gauge and the triangle and problem light come right back. I went over all the connections to the inverter and I’m sure I have everything connected but I’m still scratching my head. Any ideas why it refuses to start? Any way to get the scan gauge to read the hybrid error codes? I still have the wiper assembly and cowl off, would that matter?
    Thanks!
    Gerry

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    90% chance that the orange plug for the pack is not installed correctly. A partial insertion will complete the circuit, but will not latch the sensor indicating its installation. See the picture below for proper position of the handle. Note how far down the handle needs to go once it is vertical.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. trseven

trseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Really wish it was that easy! I checked it out and it was seated. I thought I was missing the interlock plug but noticed as the handle pivots the interlock goes from horizontal to vertical down into the plug. All looks good. Seated. What going to get a closer look but wow you need to take a lot of stuff apart to get to it. Wish Toyota gave us an easier way to read the codes!

Thanks!
    Gerry

4. trseven

trseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, got it running. Found the lever on the battery pack service interlock closed but not "locked". I should have read your post a little closer seilerts. Thanks. I found it while reading the service manual. My Gen 1 has a smaller non-locking service plug. Guess I was thinking it wasn't that complicated and I can't remember for the life of me pulling up on the handle before pivoting it down to remove it!

Thanks!
    Gerry