1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Rear ended by Pickup truck, Dealer can't find problem Red Triangle !

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BrokenPrius, Jul 9, 2012.

1. BrokenPrius

BrokenPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2004 prius and was rear-ended by a PU that weighed 5,000 lbs, which is 2,000 lbs more than my car. Ouch did that hurt. Body shop fixed all that they could. After 1 week the red triangle ! came on, was able to drive it home but when i shut it off then the Red ! came on and wouldn't start. Towed to dealer. They replaced the Brake control accuator. This fixed it for less than 100 miles. Drove less than 100miles, RED ! again, drove home, shut off. Car won't start, Red ! ON again, towed to same dealer for repair again. Why is the 2004 Prius so fragile in a accident ???

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's not that much that can cause a Prius to be inop in the back. The main pieces are the 12v battery and the brake backup power supply. Further forward is the hybrid battery fan and the ducting. There is one duct that is crucial and needs to be installed correctly or else you will have no end to the problems.

Invariably, when a Prius goes in for body work, the 12V battery will be ruined. If they said something like, "charged 12V battery" on the work order, then you have a botched repair, because they almost never hold a charge again.

Since you have a 2004, make sure the the inverter cooling pump recall has been performed.

What were the diagnostic codes the first time?