1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Toyota Hybrid "Ready" light won't turn on.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Belmamba, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Belmamba

Belmamba New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, first time posting on here.

I have a 2004 Toyota Prius hybrid that will not drive even after changing hybrid and v16 batteries. All the lights on the dash will turn on but the "ready" light will not turn on. I changed the brakes as well thinking it might be effecting the signal between my car and the engine but no luck. I also tried reading it with a scanner but no codes show up. On top of all of this I was reading online that you can "reset" the car by holding down a button under the steering wheel with the word "key" or something along those lines but my car does not have that button under the steering wheel. Instead just a piece of plastic. I don't have any money left to hire a mechanic to come take a look at it. If anyone knows what's going on with my car or has advise I can follow I would really appreciate it! I'm a full time student that goes to school 5 days a week I NEED this car to run!

A little background info on symptoms the car was having prior to "ready" light never turning on again:
    The car battery was having issues,
    I would need to have my car jump started before class in the morning. Often I just tried turning it off and on again until the engine would turn on, the light "ready" would show and I could drive. Eventually I went to pump gas at a station, filled up the tank and all the lights on the dash turned on but not the "ready" light. I put it in neautral to move it to a safe spot where i can jump start it but after this event the car will not run.

Attached Files:

2. Belmamba

Belmamba New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know where to edit my post but I wanted to add that when I step on the breaks my lights work perfectly fine so I doubt it's the sensor. I've also checked all my fuses under my steering wheel and the ones under my hood where you jump start the car and they are all fine. The headlights work great so I know it's not the v16 battery.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When did you replace the hybrid battery? Have you tried disconnecting the 12v battery for a minute and then reconnecting it?

If you do, after reconnecting the 12v battery, put your foot on the brake pedal, press the start button, wait about 10 seconds and(foot still on brake) press the start button again. The car should power up and be ready to go to ready mode.

If the hybrid battery was the most recent thing to be changed, perhaps the safety disconnect was not completely installed.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How many miles, and for how long have you owned this vehicle?

What type of scanner did you use to read the codes?

Have you checked all of the fuses?

Is your 12v battery known to be good. Otherwise you might think about locating another usable 12v battery (new or used, but known to be good).

From the image you've posted, the HV battery is looking quite low. Do you have a way to charge it?

You may not be able to get it running before heading off to school in the morning, please be prepared for that.

Where did you read that you could reset the car by holding a button under the steering wheel?

#4 SFO, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Belmamba

Belmamba New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the hybrid battery changed by a professional shop that only works with hybrid cars a little longer than 2 months ago called Ace Hybrid in Westminster CA. I have warranty on the hybrid battery and my car didnt have issues up until 2 weeks ago. I did try disconnecting it letting it sit for 10 min then reconnecting it but it didn't do anything. I'll try disconnecting the V16 battery again and trying your 10 sec method right now.

6. Belmamba

Belmamba New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    190k miles, I've owned it for one year. So far this hybrid car has not been worth the gas it saves. I'm just spending that money on battery expenses.
    The scanner is: PocketScan Plus OBD II & CAN code reader with code definitions.

I did mention above I checked all the fuses :)

I just bought the recommended v16 new from autozone. They only had one available for my car.

What's the HV? The hybrid battery? I only let the shop deal with that piece since it's high voltage.

I googled the issues my car was having and the whole reboot system Idea came up.

7. Belmamba

Belmamba New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried this and it didn't work but I will mention that the screen showed that the battery had energy for like the first 5 seconds which gave me hope but the little bars depleted quickly :(

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hybrid cars save the environment, not money. consider yourself doing your part when forking over the cash.(y)

9. Belmamba

Belmamba New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If my car doesn't start I'm not buying another hybrid. It's been non-stop issues. My car needs to do it's part before I can attempt to do mine.

10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you able to give us a chronological order of what symptoms, repairs, etc you have had? It also sounds like you've had your share of jump starts. All it takes is one incorrect jump (wires reversed for even one second) to cause blown fuses, etc. There are so many lights on your dash it looks like a 12v circuit/battery problem. You filled the gas tank, but only had one dot on the gauge?

11. Belmamba

Belmamba New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes.
    1.) The hybrid battery got replaced with a used one under warranty, the fan not working properly caused the damage so that got replaced as well.
    2.) Weeks later the car would have trouble turning on. It would take 3-6 normal attempts of turning on the car until it finally started or it would start immediately if it was jump started. (This lead me to believe it was the 12v battery)
    3.) The car would not start after filling up the tank. The dash board would light up but not the "ready" light. I attempted to turn it off and on like I normally did to start it since I couldn't jump start it at the gas station. Eventually no lights came on.
    4.) I purchased a new 12v battery from Oreily and swapped it. The car lit up again, all except for the "ready light".
    5.) I put it in neutral and moved it away from the gas station, attempted to jump start it but it failed to work
    6.) After towing it home I bought a different battery at Autozone but the same situation occurred. All the lights came on like the picture above. I had the original battery checked and it seemed to not want to charge, it became stuck at 7v.
    7.) I purchased new brakes and changed them since I read online it might have to do with the sensor between them and the car. Also they were really worn out so I was almost sure it could be that. Again nothing changed.

Towing it to Westminster would cost me maybe half a grand and that wouldn't guarantee the shop fixing it. :/

12. Belmamba

Belmamba New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also I checked all the fuses multiple times. They are all "green". Inside and under the hood.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suspect any car with 190k can have issues, but i don't keep them that long, so don't have any experience.
    all the best!(y)

Belmamba likes this.
  14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Long shot but easy and free to check: make sure brake lights are on during starting routine. If not, check brake switch under dash.

Could the rebuilt HV battery be completely shorted? Are there trouble lights/codes to be read?

SFO likes this.
  15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That was a good run-down of the problems. At this point, the best thing to do is get the codes read with a reader that can pick-up hybrid/battery/specialty codes. There should definitely be some there, based on the dashboard lights. Maybe a local parts store has one you can borrow through a loan-a-tool program.

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  16. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't heard about a "green" indicator before.. did you actually pull each fuse and check?

17. Belmamba

Belmamba New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I did but I have a scanner that will read "red" if there's anything wrong with them too. Checked them both ways. Nothing wrong with fuses

18. Belmamba

Belmamba New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My reader didn't pick up any codes so I'm having a mechanic come to the house today to check it out. Hopefully he can come up with some type of diagnostic

19. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the connections on the two (2) 12V battery terminals, and from the negative ground strap to the body.

Recheck or replace/swap the AM1 fuse (#14) if you have an extra handy.

A proper code DTC/INF reader would be of great help here, not sure if that Actron PocketScan Plus is fully compatible with a Prius.

Raytheeagle and Belmamba like this.
  20. Belmamba

Belmamba New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I checked to make sure the brake lights work. I tried scanning it but no codes came up. I remember the first time I had issues with the HV I scanned it and a list of codes came up. Nothing this time around. I'm having a mechanic come with their scanner to check the car.