1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Toyota Prius' 4th piston cylinder is shorter.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by StephanieCS, Oct 3, 2015.

1. StephanieCS

StephanieCS New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi I'm new to prius' and when I brought it from someone they had told me it was only the head gasket. When my dad was taking the engine apart it looked fine but once he started moving the piston cylinder the 4th from the left was shorter than the other ones. Is this normal? Will it cause a problem in the future if not fixed? IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0140.JPG IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0140.JPG

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like you have a bent connecting rod in cyl #4. And yes, that's a problem. It means that hydro lock occurred in cyl #4 when the head gasket failed (too much coolant entered the cylinder). Time to replace the #4 connecting rod and maybe other parts. Sorry for your loss.

Lucifer and StephanieCS like this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Read up on "Atkinson Cycle" - what you're seeing might be related to that… (…that is if you are quite certain that it isn't hydraulic lock - have you taken your Prius swimming recently?)

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Atkinson effect in a Prius engine is achieved with intake valve timing. No funny business with connecting rods. Pistons 1 and 4 ought to be at the same height there....

-Chap

CR94 and jadziasman like this.
  5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, I didn't realise that - I looked at the animation and was amazed! (…still am!) …thanks for the edification! ;)