1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Airbag OFF?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ajprius, Jul 27, 2006.

1. ajprius

ajprius New Member

So I've poked around quite a bit both on the board and in the manual... can't seem to find my answer.

Can someone tell me if the 05' has the Auto Airbag OFF feature, I should mention too that we have the side airbags.
    Manual makes no mention of this at all and from what I've read on the board this IS available on the '06?

Tested the seat with a 10lb weight set- saw no Airbag symbols of any kind on the dash... either ON or OFF.
    Both with seatbelts buckled and unbuckled.

So what is the verdict?

IF there is no auto off, can we turn off the airbag even with the side curtains or is that not an option either. On VERY rare occasions our son rides in the front seat... this was fine in the van for short trips in the 'hood, but if the airbag is going to stay on we would not do this even then. Just not worth the risk.

Thanks

2. ajprius

ajprius New Member

anyone....

anyone...

Bueller....?
    :mellow:

3. Drifter

Drifter Member

NO the 2005 airbags can not tell between a child and an adult in the seat. The airbags might not go off if there is absolutely no weight on the seat, but if there is enough to make the seatbelt light blink (when the seatbelt is unlatched) then they would go off in an accident. There is also no way to temporarily disable the airbags. Changes were made in 2006.

4. ajprius

ajprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drifter @ Jul 28 2006, 12:27 PM) [snapback]293847[/snapback]</div>
    thanks, drifter... although not the news we were hoping for.... :(