1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Certified vs 2007 New

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cephus6, Feb 8, 2007.

1. cephus6

cephus6 New Member

I have been reading this site and I am getting close to taking the plunge and
    buying a prius.

My dealer has an 05 Prius certified with 10,000 miles and a new 07 Prius
    with the pretty much the same options and equipment.

I was told the certified car came with a 7 year 100,000 miles warranty.
    Does this warranty cover the same as the platinum warranty from Toyota?

Has there been an update of a technology to warrant the higher price of the 07?

Thanks

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cephus6 @ Feb 8 2007, 08:03 PM) [snapback]387191[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site. I presume you are comparing a standard '07 (not Touring) to the '05. Basically they are the same car but the '07 does have some changes. Without specifics its hard to give a complete answer. Since I don't have a 2005 I don't pay as much attention to all the posts so I will defer to others to recommend specific things to look (out) for.

The warranty on the used car started in '05 and 10,000 miles ago so it's closer to 5 years/90,000 miles. You can read both warranties at the dealer. The '05 does not qualify for a federal tax credit while the '07 does. How much depends on your financial situation.

Make sure you want and will use the options on the car. In the showroom they all sound wonderful but as you should know from reading the posts, implementation leaves something to be desired. Don't pay for stuff you don't want or won't use. There are enough cars around so the dealer should be able to find what you want.

Either way, you should be able to enjoy the car for a long time.

3. cephus6

cephus6 New Member

Thanks for the feedback, I did not even think about the tax credit.

Your comment about the warranty is one of the reason I was asking this question.
    When I questioned the warranty, I was told that for certified cars the 7 year 100,000 mile
    warranty started from the day I purchased. So in my example the warranty would run to 110,000.
    I was also told it would cover everything that the Platinum extended warranty would cover if I purchased
    a new prius and extended warranty. I just wanted to make sure my salesman knew what he was talking about.

The salesman was actually selling the new car more than the used, which I have expected the opposite.

THanks

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cephus6 @ Feb 9 2007, 09:28 AM) [snapback]387406[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.toyota.com/html/tcuv/faq.html proves someone at the dealer is (at best) misinformed. "Your Certified Warranty expires at the earlier of seven years (from original date of first use when purchased as new) or when your odometer reaches 100,000 miles."

http://www.toyota.com/html/tcuv/warranty.html?language=E details the warranty. I didn't check everything but it doesn't seem to be much different than the basic new car warranty in NJ.

2007's are being bought for $2000-$4000 below MSRP depending on location according to the posts here. IMO for the 2005 to be a better deal it would have to have a much lower price, say $4000+ less (40c per mile) than the '07.

The salesman probably gets a bigger commission on the new car. I recommend reading the tips on www.carbuyingtips.com.