1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Cruise Control Switch How to remove

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Driver Ed, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Driver Ed

Driver Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think my cruise control switch is bad.

Is there a simple way to remove it without taking of the steering wheel.

I know when I turn the wheel upside down I can see the back of the CC switch surrounded by a plastic plate. When I take that off the trim plate I can see inside but that about all I can do..

Please help.

Thanks

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Service manual recommends disconnecting 12V power, removing steering wheel covers and horn button. No need to remove the wheel entirely.

3. bstephens

bstephens Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Changing the switch is really easy. Remove that trim plate you mentioned, along with the one on the opposite side of the steering wheel. Oh, disconnect the battery first - you are fooling with the air bag area! Now back to the trim plate areas - you will see bolt head on each side. I think they have allen wrench heads, maybe not. Loosen those bolts a few turns, not enough to remove them. Those hold the horn button/airbag in place. That should be able to be turned out, towards you if you loosened the bolts enough. Now you will see the two bolts holding the CC switch in place, and the wiring harness. Remove both bolts and disconnect the harness. Reverse the process to install a new switch. It is even easier than the description. And you saved $120, because that is what the dealer quoted me to do that.

4. Driver Ed

Driver Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you guys!
    I'll give it a try.

5. DotBone89

DotBone89 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to Driver Ed, seilerts, and bstephens; just finished the repair and performed the PMCF. All systems 4.0! (Well the CC systems at least).