1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Engine - Worth Pulling?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by artc, Nov 14, 2015.

1. artc

artc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've bought a 2005 that was totaled at 165K miles. It was hit on the front left side - enough to crush the frame and some surrounding parts, but it doesn't seem that it should have damaged the engine or transmission.

I bought the trashed car for the traction pack which had been replaced about 1000 miles before the car was hit. The pack went into a 2006 that has an "interesting" history and 104K miles and which is doing just fine.

I also have a 2007 Touring with 280K miles. It's currently running really well except that it goes through somewhere around a quart of oil in 3K - even after applying most of the low-cost suggestions from the many oil loss threads on PC. It's in really nice condition and might be worth an engine swap if things get very much worse or other problems arise.

The engine on the trashed 2005 was running after it was hit until the cars were separated. The former owner claims that they did routine maintenance (oil changes, etc.) So, I could pull it and keep it as a spare, BUT I know little of the history and when I checked the oil dip stick the level was at the bottom of the stick. I think it's unlikely that it lost oil in the collision, but I suspect it was close to it's oil change time. It did not leak oil just sitting around (no drips underneath).

Given that these engines are fairly readily available for < $1000 should I pull it? I'm not an ICE expert, however, the inverter is out and so I have reasonable access to the engine. Is there anything I can easily do/see that might indicate that this engine has a terminal oil-burning problem? Is there anything that's likely to be easily fixable once the engine's out of the car that might resolve oil leaks? Any photos that I can easily get and post that would let the PC guru's give me better advice?

The cost to pull it is low - just time and effort, but I have no reason to put an oil-burner into another car, which means that even that effort is wasted.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks,

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! no idea really, but from everything i've read, the ice and tranny are really cheap, even at lower mileage.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Car engines really last a long time, even if you have one that burns 1qt every 3000 miles. i don't think it's worth your time and effort to pull the engine, it might even burn more oil than what you currently have. I don't think you have to be too concerned with an engine that's burning 1qt every 3000 miles. This sounds to be a good engine.

4. artc

artc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's also the transmission... And I've already pulled the front axles/CVs because I need to move the car - the front wheels lock when you don't have enough functionality to get it into neutral.

I'm leaning towards not pulling (for all the reasons above) but with all the parts I've already removed I'm probably only a few hours away.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the tranny's are extremely reliable. not sure anyone will want one with 150k.

6. artc

artc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    bisco, I think generically that's the problem with a Prius - the whole car is too reliable for an individual to stock any parts. There's no part that routinely fails even at high mileage so even for "free" it hard to justify storing them - especially from a relatively high mileage car. I had an immediate need for the pack, which made the deal worthwhile. I'll keep the wheels. The tires have a little life left, but the rims have value for snow tires. I did manage to reuse the meter combo in a car with a flaky module and the 299,999 problem. The inverter I'll keep. It's small and fairly high value and sometimes fails. But even things like window motors and wiper motors are not known for failing.

I did learn some interesting things. Like, by 160K the transmission fluid is really nasty but should be easy to change. It's probably time to change it in the other cars - and you should probably change yours ("you" in this case not being personal but meaning "everyone").

I think I agree with everyone's advice that I should just leave it. Now all I need to do is figure out how to get it to the junkyard without the wheels...

bisco likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If there's an engine and transmission, you should offer the car for $500 with all it's remaining useful parts.....then settle for $300 when someone throws you an offer.

You should take the catalytic converter, it's worth a lot

bisco likes this.
  8. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With the price of scrap metal now, or the lack of, I'm stripping down my parts cars to sell the excess parts. I'll keep what's left of the carcasses until scrap metal goes back up some. $2.50/hundred is not worth the gas to haul it off.