1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 gen 2 ready for a new battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Chili Palmer, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Chili Palmer

Chili Palmer New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the car is ready for a new HV battery but wanted to post this to get some input.

Background on the car is she purchased it a few months ago and while on a trip to Wyoming I noticed a reduction in power going through the mountains, after some research I determined at that time it was probably just the mountains doing what they do to a Prius. Fast forward and my son has been driving the car to work over the last couple of months and with his lead foot he would drain the battery then park it then drive home and do the same thing.

I’m sure the battery was already on its way out when I was in the mountains and my son put the final nail in the coffin.

Either way, here are the codes I’m currently getting.

upload_2021-7-13_12-27-54.png

Thoughts or input welcome.
    And if it does need a battery is Green Bean a good option?

thanks in advance.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're ever out in Seattle area I can help you...

In general, the repair option best for you is based on your budget:

--Replacing a module only costs $30 if you do the all the work and it'll be good for a few days to a year or more. This solution is ideal if you buy a spare pack at the wrecker and rebuilt it as well. That way you always have a spare pack on the shelf ready to go.

--A professionally rebuilt used pack can be had for less than $1K and can be good for a few months to a few years

--A brand new OEM pack, or New Prius Batteries pack, or projectlithium.com pack are in the range of $1650 to $2250 and will last you without issue for a decade or longer.

Sanchan and Chili Palmer like this.
  3. Chili Palmer

Chili Palmer New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Roger, we're in Boise. If it were my car there's no doubt I would be rebuilding the battery myself, I'm fully capable of doing that, but it's not mine, it's the ex-wife's. I thought about buying a rebuilt one, lot's of options for sub 1K, but in the end, it would be best if she just goes the green bean route so she can get the warranty and then I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore ;)

4. Chili Palmer

Chili Palmer New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That was weird, I tried quoting you but kept getting the following error. The moment I deleted your quote it went away?

upload_2021-7-13_18-38-35.png

SFO likes this.