1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 HID headlight issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kphone2005, Mar 30, 2014.

1. kphone2005

kphone2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2005 Prius, purchased new, with HID headlights, recently the lights seem to be pointing about ten (10') feet in front of the car. My question, does it have the auto leveling feature, according to my dealer it does not. I took it in last week for 100K service. Why would the lights suddenly be pointing only ten feet in front of the car. I know they can be manually adjusted, but wonder what could cause this problem. The dealer suggested I need new HID bulbs, which seems far fetched to me.

Thanks for any feedback.

Ken
    In Raleigh, NC.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it has factory HIDs, AFAIK, it should have a leveling sensor and it may have failed or be dangling. Google for
    Code:
    site:priuschat.com headlight sensor

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The leveling sensor may be faulty; however you should have seen the master warning light (red triangle of death) by now and the symbol for the leveling sensor on the MFD. Replacement of the sensor is easy but the price for a new one is quite expensive. Try to find a used one from a junk yard.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you get under the rear of the car, you can find the sensor mounted to the body and attached via a thin rod to the rear axle.

5. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The owners manual should point out your objective, there's a small spring that rust's out on occasion, it's an easy job getting to checking, replacing and resealing, pity Toyota did such a poor job designing and implementing.

6. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Words of warning to the OP. If one of the sensor springs is rusted, there's a chance that the connector is too. Be careful when you disconnect the harness from the sensor. If it won't release easily, it's likely that the harness connector is partially rusted to the sensor. I needed to swap out the old connector when I replaced my leveling sensor because the connector was beyond repair due to severe rust.

But since the OP lives in NC and since the car has been there the entire time, the rust is not likely to be as severe as it is for those of us in the snow belt. We were a mere 3 inches short of the all time snowfall season record this year in SE Michigan. Most but not all of the snow has melted.