1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Preview

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tempus, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/previe...spy?artid=25423

June 16, 2004
    2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Preview
    by Trevor Hofmann , Canadian Auto Press

The makers of hybrid cars have got to be smiling these days. With gas prices the way they are, sales of Toyota's Prius and Honda's Civic Hybrid have never been stronger.

And what about Honda? Yeah, the brand that was first to market in North America with its funky Insight, followed up by its highly successful Civic Hybrid isn't about to let Toyota steal all the thunder.

Honda recently announced that its popular Accord sedan will be the next inline to get the HEV treatment.

What makes it so enticing? The new model makes use of the Accord's already enthusiastic 3.0-liter, 240-horsepower V6, combined with Honda's Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) system. That means it'll produce even more power than the current V6, while delivering much better fuel economy.

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

How much better fuel economy? Almost cerainly nowhere near that of the Prius.

3. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, it's not meant to be a competitor for the Prius. They list it's direct competitors as the Camry and Altima hybrids.

I doubt it will match even the HCH for pure mileage.

The advertising I've seen says "More power than a V6 with better mileage than a V4"

It will probably have pretty good highway mileage because of the VCM. If I had to guess, I'd say High 30s City and Highway, but nobody knows yet.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Better than I used to get" rules the day a lot lately. *My* better is 50MPG @ 70MPH, as opposed to ~36MPG @ 75MPH (best trip the Kia ever made, and rarely that good...)

Wait. Forgot 'city'. Now ~46MPG when I kick around town with no trips, when the Kia got ~23MPG doing the same thing...

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Frankly I can't imaine it will be all that much better than the standard 6 cyl Accord given that Honda's design is engine first, electric boost when needed. Maybe they'll get some software in it to kick in the electric rather than winding up the ICE on soft acceleration. I read earlier that it will have a better 0-60 than the standard V6.

This from a www.autosite.com review:
    "In addition, the 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid will be the first car in company history to be outfitted with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) technology.

VCM selectively deactivates three of the Accord Hybrid’s six cylinders under specific driving conditions (such as when cruising at highway speeds) in an effort to improve fuel economy.
    and that the hybrid version will offer six-cylinder performance blended with the fuel-economy of a four-cylinder Honda Civic,"

Looks like VCM will give most of the mpg savings. Will be interesting to see if the EPA stats for city/highway are the same ratio as the standard Civic.

6. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    From the article:
    Trick question: If the engine produces 240 hp and the combined output of the Gas/Electric is 240hp; how many hp does the motor produce?

7. boa8

boa8 New Member

Wrong answer [​IMG]

European-model Honda Accord (Acura TSX in North America) 2.2 i-CTDi Sport sedan set 19 world speed records and achieved 3.07 litres / 100 km (76.6 mpg) fuel economy to boot.

More here:
    http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic....2711&highlight=

8. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

applications like this one in the acord, and the one in the upcoming highlander/RX, are not being marketed as gas mileage improvements (though there is 'some' increase) they are being marketed as 'the acceleration of a V8 with the MPG of a V6.

have to say, a fully optioned acord, with the power boost of hybrid motors, would probably be a neat, if boring, alternative to some pricier cars with V8's or bi6 6's. and more reliabile to boot, if honda and toyota follow their usual ways.

(not mentioning any names of other cars, to avoid flameouts... wouldn't want the germans after me :D

9. XravenX

XravenX New Member

"European-model Honda Accord (Acura TSX in North America) 2.2 i-CTDi Sport sedan set 19 world speed records and achieved 3.07 litres / 100 km (76.6 mpg) fuel economy to boot."

Yeah but that was the Diesel Version of the Accord. and it was the 2.2 liter version. The Gas V-6 is much less efficent.

Still wish they would make a good, clean, diesel hybrid for here in the states. With Bio-Diesel and great milage we all could kiss imported Oil Bye Bye.

Still like the prius though!. :wink:

10. bookrats

bookrats New Member

No, right answer. You're refering to a different car -- a diesel Accord being tested in Europe. jamarimutt was refering to the upcoming hybrid Accord.

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Yup; the Accord looks like another of Honda's "mild hybrids" -- as you point out, the electric engine never runs on its own, it only assists the ICE.

But still an interesting piece of engineering. I'm also looking forward to the EPA stats.