1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 lights and error codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Skylar Renee, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Skylar Renee

Skylar Renee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone! My name is Sky and I'm new here. We own a 2005 Prius with a little under 222k miles on it. We've owned it for about a year. Recently we replaced the brakes, axle, wheel bearing, and a steering knuckle. About a week or so after the repairs, some lights came on. To the left of the dash is a red light that reads "BRAKE". To the right of the dash there are three yellow lights, "ABS", "VSC" and "((!))". The three yellow lights will sometimes go off while driving and then come back on. When the three yellow lights are on, my braking power is reduced. The braking power is fine when the lights go off though. Check engine light is also on. Took to AutoZone and they gave me a print out with the following codes: P0420, C0200, C1202, C1235, C1241, C1242. This is our only vehicle and we rely on it for work and don't make much, so any help is greatly appreciated. Anybody have any help or tips for us? Thanks in advanced!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    have you taken it bak to the shop who did the repairs to check everything?

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would appear that some of the codes indicate that some of the areas worked on have a problem. Specifically, the RF speed sensor is an area of concern.

Also, the level of the brake fluid reservoir should be checked. You should also verify that there are no leaks in any part of the brake system.

4. Skylar Renee

Skylar Renee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not taken it to a shop yet, but plan too if I can't figure it out on my own. My dad used to run a shop and was a master mechanic many years ago, back before hybrids and abs were a big thing though so he don't know much about those systems. We've always changed the brakes on our cars ourselves.

bisco likes this.
  5. Skylar Renee

Skylar Renee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've checked the brake fluid several times. The level is always good. Haven't found any leaks either.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bleeding the brake fluid can be tricky

7. Skylar Renee

Skylar Renee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, we figured that out quick. I just took them to have them bleed. It got off all the codes now except P0420. Looked it up and it says that means the catalyst efficiency is below normal. Anyone know of a possible cheaper solution than replacing that?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if your state allows it, there are some pretty cheap aftermarket cats. plus, your oem is worth over a thousand dollars for the precious metals

Skylar Renee likes this.