1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Navigation System / Adding to a non-nav Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cloaked, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Cloaked

Cloaked New Member

Question?

I own a 2005 Prius, and it has the standard screen for climate/audio/information (4 button system).

I noticed that Toyota does NOT do any after sales upgrades for a Navigation system. Called them today and the parts department verified this can't be done (seems foolish since Toyota could make some money off these options...).

If I can find a OEM navigation system to install in the Prius, can it be slapped in? Or is there some wiring that would be mising from the original manufacturing of the vehicle?

I know I would need the navigation system, voice recognition box and possibly the steering wheel button.
    If I found these items, can it be done?

Thanks for any input!

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I guess it could be done but it will not be easy. There are several sensors that you will need. The wireing harness is different. There are a few ECU's that are different. I can be done but it would take a lot of knowledge. I would go for an after market solution, if I were you.

3. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. newkbomb

newkbomb New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Sep 5 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]314948[/snapback]</div>
    I would just get a Tom-Tom or Garmin... They are very small these days and mobile! I'm assuming it would be way cheaper than trying to integrate one into your MFD.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There are also some aftermarket systems that can be built in. They replace the radio (actually they become the radio, CD, XM) and the screen pulls out for use and retracts when not needed.

6. rich502

rich502 New Member

For the 2005 Prius Nav system, regular upgrades are important. I have a 2005 Prius with a Nav upgrade from Jan 2005. I called my dealer to see if an upgrade was avaialable, and they weren't sure.

Does anyone know if a later Nav upgrade for the 2005 Prius is available. Was there a Jan 2006 upgrade and do you think there will be a Jan 2007 upgrade. The Jan 2005 upgrade cost $275. What do you think future upgrades will cost?

Thanks!
    Rich

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rich502 @ Sep 6 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]315508[/snapback]</div>
    What version number are you talking about? The latest is 5.1, I believe.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rather than trying to install a system that would put NAV onto your present MFD, get a Garmin StreetPilot. It sits on your dashboard and puts the NAV screen right in your field of view (but below the bottom of the windshield) so that you can see it without looking way off to the side. I find this set-up very good. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and it gives voice directions as well as text on the screen, and of course shows you a map of where you are with arrows indicating turns.

One very high-end model can connect to your speed sensor for when you lose the satellites, but I don't think that's worth the extra cost.

Another high-end feature on some is traffic info, capable (supposedly) of routing around traffic jams, but note that this is only available (for a fee) in a very few very large metropolitan areas.

9. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I purchased a Garmin NUVI 350 GPS from "Abe's of Maine" over the web. It is GREAT, and mounts easily. It can be transferred to my Tacoma when needed. The touch screen and display resolution is fantastic.