1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius 132k massive oil loss

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Caliveltz, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Caliveltz

Caliveltz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The car was low and I added enough oil to bring back to full. 1800 miles later, engine dipstick reading at end tip of dipstick. Added a quart, was full. Drove around 80 miles. It was low again. It has a huge film of oil spray all over the back end and it seems to be leaking a lot of oil. It's in a kind of square patterning the driveway. Not just one drip. This is my first Prius.

Thank You!
    James Veltri
    San Marcos, Ca
    2005 Prius Package 3

2. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds to me like you've got a leaking oil pan. Gotta get under there and figure it out.

Or get it to the repair shop.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat, probably just need a pan gasket. all the best!(y)

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The numbers don't really add up on your observations. At the end "tip of dipstick", it should be at least 2 quarts to bring it to full. So adding 1 quart would not bring it to full. Going another 80 miles, you would probably still show "low" because it wasn't full when you filled it.

Whatever it is, you know your car is burning oil. I would check it every morning (before) starting your car. You can get a pretty good reading that way. See how it does after 1 week and see how much oil the car goes through. Top it off as often as needed so it won't go low.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The fact that you are asking implies you need to "take it" to someone qualified with a lift, ability to thoroughly clean, inspect and repair as needed.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    An oil loss of that magnitude implies a substantial problem, such as accident damage. Did someone hit the engine oil pan on a curb, for example. You need to visit an auto repair shop immediately to assess the problem - if you cannot determine the source of this oil leak.

Also, as previously mentioned, you would need more than 2 quarts to replenish the oil loss if the oil level was at the bottom of the dipstick. The reading should be taken with the engine turned off, in case that was not obvious.

7. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I disagree that it's "burning "oil".

Sounds like a massive leak through a crack or past a gasket or seal.

Shouldn't be too hard to track down.

GregP507 likes this.
  8. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    leaking that bad all of a sudden sounds like something stupid like a loose drain plug or oil filter. get under that sucker asap and verify your filter and drain plug are tight. hand tighten the filter, don't tighten it with an oil filter wrench; those are only for removal. put a wrench on the drain plug and tighten it with 1 hand; no need to rip the threads out of the pan. if they are both tight, I'm sure you'll see where the oil is coming from. don't wait, if the drain plug is loose, it can vibrate out and you will blow up your engine