1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius, 1st drive impressions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chrism07924, Apr 30, 2005.

1. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

Well, my Prius came in and I'm still on cloud nine. To see its brand new shiny metallic silver body glisten coupled with its new car smell is really something. I'm so excited, and I'm looking forward to years and years with this awesome technological wonder.

I purchased package 5, so I've got a few options I guess. Immediately, the homelink system (which I always ignored in other cars) seems to have taken on all new coolness in this car, and so I've actually programmed it. Nice practical feature. All wasn't perfect however, here's what I've run into since driving it home day 1:

There are two visible scratches visible when looking at the MPH display. The dealer recognized it, and wrote it up. He said that he feels it's probably on the mirror itself instead of the plastic cover in front of the actual display. If that's the case, he tells me that he will order the mirror but that it's a back ordered part and may take a while to get here. He recommended I use a little compressed air on the mirror area (holding at a distance though) to make sure it's not fabric pieces. It isn't. On the other hand, I seem to feel some abrasion on the plastic cover where the scratches are, so it might just be that. And boy, let me say that the plastic cover smudges so easily. Cleaning it with a light windex & water solution took a while to get it clear notwithstanding scraches.

Back seat on left is very had to put back (snap back) into position after folding it down. Lightly pushing it up and back doesn't work, and just results in the noise of the seat hitting against metal. The other seat folds up easily, but this one I have to really push hard and fast to get it to snap back. I have yet to mention it to the dealer.

Center speaker on the much acclaimed JBL sound system (wink wink) is full of static at even moderate volume levels. When I first got in the car, the balance was pushed 80-90% front of center, and I'm wondering if maybe somehow somebody "tested" it out, because it seems like that center speaker is going. I'm not sure whether I should follow the advice of some others and remove the speaker's wire, or get the dealer to replace and then maybe remove it.

Now the driving experience:

I commute about 50 miles each way to work, and do so at pretty fast speeds. I did notice that depsite the lack of much wind, the car was noticeably wandering. Not enough to be a concern really to me, at least not in normal weather conditions. However, I have to wonder what this is gonna be like in Februrary with 10 inches of snow. It should be interesting!

I also noticed that at high speeds, the engine seemed to be pulsing a bit, for lack of a better description. Sometimes it felt like the engine was handling it with ample HP and other times it seemed like the breaks were being applied even though I didn't hit them or have Cruise control on. This was actually more of a concern to me than the wandering. I'm still not sure why it would have been doing that, but it did seem strange.

After arriving home and deciding to take it out later, I made the very stupid mistake of not fully releasing the emergency brake. I didn't notice it until about 1 mile down the local road, fortunatley not that far into the drive and not exceeding say 35mph. After realizing the red light was on, I freaked and then pulled over to release. I hope never to make that blunder again, I'm wondering how much if any "damage" I may have caused by that move. Someone please make me feel better and tell me it should be ok - this is my new baby, afterall!

Other than that, I'm in heaven. I feel a part of a smarter more environmentally concious collective - a new feel for me. I'm glad to be there/here.

I should have added the good things about the drive so far:

- Overall smooth ride. I do hear some minor road noise and a bump here and there over older roads where I live, but I like the firm feel and the way the car rides.

- I actually dig the power steering. I like the feel of it.

- Stealth crusing in town is a dream.

- I'm sure I'll think of more later.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll be fine. You just wear the pad out a tiny bit.

Congrats on your new Prius though!

3. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the new toy(ota). :lol: First thing I would suggest is to change out those horrible OEM tires. I live on Long Island (not too far from you) and if you're concerned about snow, the OEM tires are really not that good in snow/slush/rain. I purchased year round Nokian tires that are EXCELLENT in snow and rain.

4. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

Thanks - I will do that! What did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking? I saw a few other member recommended tires, in case I can't find the brand you mention, can you suggest a 2nd choice? I recall hearing Blizzex (sp?) are good but I have no idea if they come in the right size.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Michelin HydroEdge
    Michelin Harmony
    Michelin Energy MXV4+
    Goodyear Assurance ComforTred
    Goodyear Assurance TripleTred
    Dunlop Graspic DS-2
    Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50

That's all I can find so far

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Bridgestone Blizzak series of studless snow tires are for winter use only. If you need a winter tire for your winter road conditions, the Bridgestone Blizzak is a great choice.

I have Dunlop Graspic DS-2 studless snow tires for my Prius and they also work very well for winter.

As far as that "wander" some Prius have it and some don't. At the very least see what your dealer will say, maybe get a "courtesy" alignment out of them. Can't hurt, but no guarantee it will help either.

7. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

Thanks for the tire info.

Noticed two other minor issues today. Both lights above the sun visors are out, they won''t turn on. The other personal lights work fine.

Also, the glass on the hatchback shows a sort of spotted effect in the right light. I've seen this many times over the years with tinted glass of one sort or another but never gave it much thought. Strangely, I didn't notice this until tonight, day 2, even though I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before.

Obviously, neither is a big issue. Interesting though that both lights above the visor are out. I'm not sure if that speaks to a bad fuse or something else.

8. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I sincerely hope that all of these little niggling bugs you have with your new car isn't an indication of QC slipping in the effort to meet demand. Seems like alot of "little" problems.

As for the glass, it's probably tempered so it won't shatter when you use the rear defogger. The look is normal.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha. The lights aren't out. I assume you have the switch at on. Now, fold down the visors and open the mirror cover. Voilà! the lights come on :)

10. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

My bad Tideland, thanks. The lights are fine. :)

11. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    As far as the engine pulsing...welcome to Hybrid Synergy Drive, where engine RPM has nothing to do with car speed. It's normal (for the Prius) to turn that gas engine at whatever RPM the system thinks is best . Whether it's for power or MPG or cruising. It's normal. It means the HSD is doing everything it can to run more efficiently, all the while you are enjoying the zen that is Prius driving. People have also quizzed me at stoplights..."hey, buddy, your car just died". I usually wave, say thanks and pull away silently, as their jaws drop. Oh, it is fun to educate in this manner...
    Enjoy your car and all the benefits it offers!

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They don't turn on automatically. Did you use the little switch next to the light? I checked mine - for the first time - and they work.

With my glasses off, I never notice it. Of course, with my glasses off I really can't see much of anything! If I clip on the polarized sun lenses, the effect you describe is *very* noticeable.

Not just the Prius but is seems most new cars and trucks have this effect. It's either the temper process or the light tint factory applied.

13. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'm fine with the glass like it is, now that I know it's more or less the way it goes with this type of thing. I never thought to open the mirrors for the lights, but that's all it was.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the b'jesus out of my Prius. Getting great gas mileage, too. I did a 90mi round trip today, cruising near 80mph the whole way and still got around 46 mpg.

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yes, there is quite a bit of abberation in much of the glass, and it is more noticable because of the angle of sighting. Same occurs on the windshield (look to your far right at a telephone pole).