1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius A/C Condensor Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Scott Dube, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Scott Dube

Scott Dube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just a question to all you Prius owners that may have come across this situation. Had my A/C unit blow warm at around 130K miles and was told it was the Evaporator coil. I went and rec'd a quote for $1300 from a dealership. An independent service station that had great references did it for $780. Fixed the issue and blew cold. Now my A/C is still cold if the temp outside stays at 80 degrees or lower. Once it gets around 82 or 84 degrees here if Florida the A/C just struggles to cool the car off. I'm now told I need a new condensor at a repair cost of around $425. To me it almost seems like a thermostat problem since sometimes when it starts struggling to blow cold I will shut the A/C to the off position and it will blow very cold for a few minutes and then I have to switch it back on and it will be cold again. Any comments?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like low freon. The independent guys may have replaced the evaporator, recharged but it's going down on low pressure after a few minutes caused by a leak somewhere. Have that shop check the pressures again.