1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius AC Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kangro, Feb 22, 2012.

1. kangro

kangro New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an issue with the air conditioner of my prius.
    It just works while I am driving, but it does not work when I stop for a short while, such as waiting for signal.
    The fan is working fine.
    I visited a dealer and they told me the gas is leaking... but, they are wrong.
    I cannot believe them.
    The gas is fine and there is no leak and no problem exists at any other parts.
    Does anyone know about it?
    Should I replace the compressor?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, if there is a leak, they should have been very specific as to where it was. Warm air when stopped is a symptom of low charge. Low charge happens when there is a leak. It may be a very slow leak. What does the sight glass look like when the A/C is on? The slight glass is the little window on top of the receiver in front of the condenser.

1 person likes this.
  3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Witch fan is working the one in front of the radiator or the blower fan in the car. If the radiator fan does not run when the car is stationary the air con will not cool, when the car moves air flow through the rad is increased and the air con will work.

4. shaneb

shaneb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes the radiator fan is still running but not at its normal speed and as britprius said the a/c wont cool at idle.