1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius beeps when being turned off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by UclaBob, Dec 11, 2008.

1. UclaBob

UclaBob New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm new to the forum...and hoping that someone can help me figure out why my Prius beeps when being turned off.

Its a 2005, which I've taken pretty good care of over the years...basically, after driving it around for a bit...after I park (and put the Prius in park mode) I press the power button; and the car beeps at me (one of those long something may be wrong beeps)...and then turns off.

There is no indication of any problem / what could be wrong. The kicker is that if I turn it back on, and then off...it tends to be silent....it tends to happen when I drive to work in the morning (13 miles)...but only occassionally at night (when I drive home).

One last piece of possibly relevant information, is that a couple of weeks ago (before this started to happen); my car was broken into (driver side window smashed); I had the window replaced the next day...but it was still a few more days before I noticed that this was happening.

I'd like to avoid taking it in to get serviced, but I'm willing to if that's what it takes.

This is really driving me crazy, and any help would be appreciated.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's probably just time to replace the FOB battery.

That only takes a few minutes and cost about $3.50

Details & Photos in the User-Guide.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a test of John's suggestion: does the same thing happen with the other fob, which presumably has not been used as much?

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think John is right on. The same thing happened to me with my 04. Changed the fob battery and no more long beep.

5. UclaBob

UclaBob New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Awesome...thanks all! :)

6. jshuler

jshuler New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm experiencing this same issue on a 2006 Prius, and I just replaced the SK fob battery. It seems odd that it would be cell phone related when the light only comes on after the passenger door is closed, then goes out after a little bit...