1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 prius bought wrecked and won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Locustoms, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Locustoms

Locustoms New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can someone please help!!! I bought a 2005 prius wrecked in the front. It wasn't a bad accident, no air bags were deployed. I have replaced all damaged parts,and have everything wired in except for the headlights. No wiring was damadged. I have checked the battery, it has a full charge, but my problem is there is no ready light, and when I press the brake and hold the power button for the three seconds or so, it doesn't start or even try to turn over. I have checked all fuses, but can't figure out what else to check. I'm sure I have left out some info, but if someone could help, I would appreciate it.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    To get "Ready", you press the brake and push the "Power" button once. You don't need to hold the "Power" button for 3 seconds. In fact, if the car is in "Ready" and you press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds, it will shut down the hybrid system.

3. reverai

reverai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Why not the headlights? Perhaps they need to work to complete the circuit to create a ready state. What happens when you just press the start button? Does the radio work? How about the inside lights?

It could also be the brakes...are sure they work? They do need to work to complete the circuit...in fact, almost all the subsystems need to work to get ready state in a Prius.

Good Luck

Steve

4. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When the MFD comes on, does the battery show any bars on it? Is the check engine light on (yellow) is the red triangle illuminated? The headlights shouldn't matter. It takes about 30 seconds after turning on the car for the ICE to start, but you should have a Ready light on. Do your brake lights work? If the brake switch is not working, the car will not start, and you will not get a ready light.

5. Locustoms

Locustoms New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The ready light does not come on at all, but the radio and everything else is coming on. I haven't put the headlights in because I have to paint the hood and fenders. The only thing I haven't checked is the brake lights, but I am pretty confident they are fine. And when I press the start button, it doesn't do anything.

6. Locustoms

Locustoms New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I put the key in and press the button, the air bag light shuts off, but the check engine light, vsc and the other two lights stay on, and the car doesn't do anything. And the brake lights do work

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What parts did you replace?
    Please describe the exact appearance of the other two lights that remain on?
    Does the MFD show any warning icons or messages?

8. Locustoms

Locustoms New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe it's just the tire and trac light, I replaced the radiator, condensor, and fan assembly, but had to remove the inverter to have the frame worked on

9. Locustoms

Locustoms New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could it be I a saftey mode? I noticed that the pump for the inverter comes on when it's on.

10. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you get any DTCs?

11. adam200

adam200 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I buy 2005 prius wrecked in front , I replace the radiator but i did not wire the headlights and the heat storage tank and when I diagnose it by computer there are two codes p1118 and p1122 and the hv battery it is charged and when I try o start everything work such as the radio and the warning lights apear at the dashboard and the car will not start .
    Please help me what I have to do

12. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought and rebuilt an 05 aand ruined thHV by trying to start it too often, It depletes the Hv beyond compare. The problem was in the throttle body. Autobeyours found and fixed the problem. Dealer wanted $8000. Steve at autobeyours charged $1950. He is in southern Ind but was well worth the trip Email him and explain your need