1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Cassette deck won't play

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tampabayshore, Nov 23, 2010.

1. tampabayshore

tampabayshore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I recently bought a 2005 Prius. The prior owner installed a Kenwood cassette deck below the stock stereo. I thought it would be a good way to connect my IPOD. Unfortuantely, I can't figure out how to get sound to route through the cassette deck. The Kenwood deck powers on without issue, and will spin a cassette, however, I cannot get any audio to come through the speakers. I am sure when I bought the car the prior owner showed me that it worked--but I can't recreate it. Does the radio have to be on a certain channel? Just not sure how the systems knows to pull the signal form the tape deck and not the stock stereo.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume that you've tried the switches that select various inputs, without joy. If not, I suggest that you play a tape in the Kenwood, then try the various switches to see if you can pick up the audio output from the tape player.

Otherwise, is it possible that the Kenwood audio output is connected to an FM transmitter, and that the Prius stereo has to be tuned to a specific FM frequency to pick up the output of the Kenwood?