1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius DEAD in the middle of the road

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by joeslawn, Aug 8, 2018.

1. joeslawn

joeslawn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Today my wife called me in a panic. Our 2005 Prius had died literally in the middle of a T intersection at 5pm. 25mph traffic, small town, 10-20 cars/hour or so. Half hour later sheriff showed up, we tried to call tow trucks all over the area and no one wanted to come out. We finally got a wrecker who works with AAA to come from 35 miles away with a wheel lift after 2 hours of calling. Even the sheriff couldn't locate a towing company willing to come out. We have about 5 towing companies that are closer than the one that eventually showed up. Couldn't figure out anything that was wrong, thought maybe 12V battery went bad so jumped that. Nothing worked. Eventually, city showed up with cones, sheriff left, the wrecker showed up, paid him $120 to tow the car 1 mile to my home. The car got home at 8pm.

The day before, we'd been in a small city 30 miles away, and on the way there, the car showed the red triangle and hybrid system failure. I stopped at the auto parts store and it threw the inverter cooling pump codes, along with a few other codes that are related to the pump failing.

The symptoms that I had was as following: The power button would turn orange, the rectangles around the shift letters showed up but nothing else, the car would come on for maybe 1 second before shutting down again, and the main screen would come on briefly if it was put into accessory.

After 1.5 hours of research I figured out that the AM2 fuse was blown, which was connected to the said inverter cooling pump. Before this, I had disconnected the inverter cooling pump. I replaced the AM2 fuse and the car powered up normally again and started fine.

So.... I'll be replacing the inverter cooling pump this next week and it should all be fine again. I'd ordered the inverter cooling pump last night.... so it was good to figure out that today's problems were all related to the failing pump and the blown fuse.

As an aside, there is a connector next to the strut tower that comes out of the wiring loom and goes right back into it that can be disconnected to remove power from the cooling pump in order to get the car home. To get my car started after replacing the AM2 fuse I disconnected the connector at the actual pump itself but the one coming out of the strut tower is much easier to access.

That link can be found here:

Inverter Pump

I thought I'd post this in the hopes that it might save someone else from a pile of trouble related to this stupid pump.

SFO likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can disconnect where the picture is pointing Screenshot_2018-06-16-13-14-02.jpeg

SFO, James1964 and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Txaveragejoe

Txaveragejoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  4. James1964

James1964 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How difficult was it to replace the inverter pump? Looks fairly straightforward.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not that straight forward. You got to unscrew the 12mm bolts holding the inverter assembly in place, then unhook the pump connectors, as you carefully lift the inverter to access the pump.

James1964 likes this.
  6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great info in that linked article.
    I realised the gen2 pumps for some design problems, that Toyota has improved on in the gen3s.
    So, did you buy a gen2 pump again, with same part numbers, or the improved gen3?
    If I were the one, if the pump connection on ven3 pumps are same with grn2, I'd vet a gen3 pump.

7. Peter Fanelli

Peter Fanelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you remove the left headlight it's much easier.

Dxta likes this.
  8. pashko90

pashko90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did repair one car few weeks ago, I got it dead with blown fuse am2. I did replace it and I start fell pretty light smell of burning electronics. Car start smoking like crazy from left headlight. Hybrid water pump blows. Internal short and hole on the bottom of the water pump. With new water pump car never came back. As far as I know all good now. Took 15 min to replace a water pump. You need to remove part of bumper(left side) and headlight. 2 clamps, 1 connector and 3 10mm bolts and pump is out.

James1964 likes this.
  9. joeslawn

joeslawn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yep it's real simple to fix this.

that's exactly what I did. takes 3-5 extra minutes to remove the headlight

I just bought the cheapest toyota branded pump I could find on ebay.

super simple especially if you take 5 more minutes to remove the left headlight.

James1964 likes this.