1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius DICE issue!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My DICE unit stopped working on Saturday for no apparent reason. I was basically cycling through the ignition (i.e. the car was on and I wanted to go to ACC mode).

My Observations so far:

1. The AUX doesn't work. (both MP3 and iPod). When choose DISC 5, I can't change between SEL: iPOD and SEL: AUX.

2. When the iPod is plugged in, the iPod screen would cycle between "OK to disconnect" and the main menu a few times, then choose the last selected playlist, play the first song for a few seconds, skip it, play the next song for a few seconds then just stop all together. This is repeatable and I've tried it and got the same results over and over.

3. The steering wheel controls don't work (and neither to the controls on the radio). i.e. I can change tracks but all that happens is the number increasing/decreasing on the screen but the iPod doesn't physically change track

4. The TITLE screen is stuck on one song (the last song that was played before it malfunctioned) and is displayed regardless of the disc number that's selected.

5. The only way to play a song is to manually press play on the iPod. Then it functions like an AUX input (i.e. it doesn't pause when I change to AM/FM or when I shut off the car).

I haven't had time to disassemble the dashboard but is there anything I can do/check before I start fiddling with the unit?

TIA!

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Does the iPod work all right when disconnected? Once mine did some of those things (froze and no controls), but it was due to the fact that the iPod needed a software update. The DICE worked in AUX for my portable XM radio.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 6 2007, 01:15 PM) [snapback]491463[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like when you went through cycling the ingnision it overloaded the computer bus. See if this helps. Hold down the display button and turn the lights on and off 3 times. See if you can press the reset button.

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Never had this problem before. As usual, have you try power resetting the DICE?

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Aug 6 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]491485[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, it works as it should

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Aug 6 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]491500[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah that might be it. Hmm... you want me to go to the diagnostic screen? Would the reset button do anything else (e.g. reset the mpg avg?). Also, for cycling the lights, do you mean full headlights or just the parking/side lights?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Aug 6 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]491530[/snapback]</div>
    Not yet. Haven't had time to disassemble the dashboard.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 6 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]491609[/snapback]</div>

I have no idea how extensive the reset is, I believe it's only for what's in the current memory of the computer and yes, the full headlights.

You can pull the radio fuse, which will do the same thing as unplugging the DICE kit.

7. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Another way not to pull the fuse is unplug the power cable from DICE, so you won't lose the settings in the car. That's why I install it behind the plastic hump under the radio. It's easy to access in case I need to power reset DICE. Learned my lesson from their presuccessor, ICE Link Plus.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    reset power to DICE... gotcha. I'll try that out. It's easier to access the power plug on the DICE box than to reach behind and unplug/plug back the radio connector.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Although I have yet to touch the DICE after the installation (knock on wood) I put it behind the far right A/C vent cover (it's in the lower right corner of the picture). That way all I needed to do was remove the lower glove box.

[​IMG]

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I have mine behind the vent immediately to the right of the MFD (so left of the gloveboxes).

The power reset worked and the DICE is now functioning properly.

Thanks everyone for your help!

P.S. I helped a friend of mine install his DICE unit in his TSX yesterday and it seemed to work well. The initialization is a bit long (longer than my Prius) so the music takes a while to start up. Should he switch modes? (Honda/Acura don't support CD-TEXT anyway but will he lose steering wheel controls? I know you will if you use Simple Mode but is there a 3rd mode or am I making stuff up in my head?)

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 6 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]491707[/snapback]</div>

If it's an 05+ TSX is DOES support text but only in SAT mode so he should be using it in that mode if he does not have XM. He'll have to unplug the XM receiver in the trunk.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Aug 6 2007, 09:48 PM) [snapback]491711[/snapback]</div>
    It's an 04 Canadian model.

13. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 7 2007, 08:06 AM) [snapback]491822[/snapback]</div>

:( No text in 04's.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yep, he knew that before he bought it.