1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius EV mode??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jamesleber, Sep 13, 2006.

1. jamesleber

jamesleber New Member

I have a 2005 Prius. It seems that the motor kicks in when taking off right away. I try to press the peddle VERY lightly, but the motor ALWAYS kicks in right after i start to roll. I used to be able to get to at leat 7-10 MPH before it started, but now it is right away. Also, I live in the mountains. Would an EV mode be benifficial to me. I have times where I have to climb hills, but the are times when I go down hill for miles.

And if I do a mode, will it void my warrantee? Can the dealer find out if I modified it?

Any and all help is GREATLY apperciated.

James

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamesleber @ Sep 13 2006, 09:21 AM) [snapback]318898[/snapback]</div>
    No one's warranty has been voided...there's some risk that an early battery death might lead to some resistance or even refusal if they see your EV mod, but I doubt it. Still, it's a risk you have to be willing to accept before deciding on the mod.

You should not get the mod to facilitate starting in electric only. That is a not an efficient way to drive. It is handy for creaping along in traffic to avoid the ICE starting if you're just going to move 50 feet then stop since the car can't know that that is your plan.

Whether you live in the mountains or not isn't that important unless you'd be able to drive in EV for a short distance (say 1/4-1/2 mile max) depleting the battery before an extended downhill regeneration period.

So, yes, the EV could be benefitial to you, but I'm not sure it would benefit you for the uses you currently are suggesting.

See this thread for a more detailed explaination about why not to use EV from a stop.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=13324&hl=