1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius goes only in to Neutral

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ringinear, Apr 2, 2019.

1. ringinear

ringinear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius which lit up the red triangle, the VSC and a check engine light. The car would only shift from park in to neutral, it would not go in to drive or reverse. I read and cleared the OBD codes which the first time read C1259 and C1310, after clearing by disconnecting the 12 V battery, it only finds the C1310 code. I was able to eventually get it to go into drive and get it the few miles to my house but back to only going only in to neutral with the triangle and other symbols illuminated. The 12V optima battery in this car is only about 6 months old. Hybrid battery is a reconditioned dorman and about 1.5 years old. Inverter pump was replaced one year ago. Thoughts on this? Thanks

2. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  3. amsciubay

amsciubay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the switch button placed in the middle on the cross point between drive,revers,and neutral/park working normally?
    If not this is your problem.

iPad ?

4. ringinear

ringinear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the switch (selector) is physically working fine, but it only will register neutral, not go in to drive or reverse.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is your reader Techstream? Or something else?

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DTC Fortune Cookie One-Liner
    1 DTC C1259/58 HV System Regenerative Malfunction
    2 DTC C1310/51 Malfunction in HV system

DESCRIPTION
    The skid control ECU communicates with the hybrid control ECU and controls braking force according to the motor's regenerative force.

The skid control ECU sends Enhanced VSC signal to the hybrid control ECU and inputs operating signal from the hybrid control ECU.

The skid control ECU uses CAN communication for communication with the hybrid control ECU. If a communication malfunction is memorised, the skid control ECU prohibits Enhanced VSC operation and a part of ECB control by fail-safe function.

C1259/59 is stored if the power switch is ON (READY) with the HV battery service plug disconnected.

DTC No. INF Code DTC Detection Condition Trouble Area
    1 C1259/58 150 The regeneration malfunction signal is input for at least 0.02 sec. when IG2 terminal voltage is 9.5 V or more for at least 2 sec. and communication with hybrid control ECU is valid. Hybrid control system
    2 C1310/51 156 The traction control prohibition signal is received for at least 0.07 sec. when IG2 terminal voltage is 10.5 V or more for at least 1.5 sec. and communication with hybrid control ECU is valid. Hybrid control system (Enhanced VSC)

7. ringinear

ringinear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, its a minivci with techstream from an ebay seller. I cleared the code and it ran fine until two days ago. C1259 and C1310 with a P3022. The HV battery is a replacement recondition from Dorman. I am guessing that battery (block 12) has gone bad and is reading a half a volt lower than the others in techstream.

8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have Techstream you shouldn't need to guess.
    You can use Techstream to look at the data live.
    But if it is under warranty no need to check it as long as you are having the codes.

Do you know date of purchase and date of install of the Dorman battery? Early ones had 3 year warranty. But near then end of 2017 they switched to 1 year.

9. ringinear

ringinear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it has a few more months on the three year. I am doing the battery replace this morning.
    Thank you