1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius intermittent cruise control problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BentSpace, Nov 1, 2015.

1. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the past several months I've been experiencing an intermittent problem with my cruise control. Sometimes I press the button to turn on cruise control and the light won't come on. Sometimes if I press it a bunch of times in a row eventually it will come on, but sometimes it won't come on for the whole trip. Sometimes the cruise control light will turn out on, but then I am unable to set cruise control and the light won't turn off anymore it's stuck on. Though usually if I can get the cruise control light to turn on, the cruise control itself will work normally.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a loose connection, but it could just be a bad stalk. any codes?

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Try to pressing the cruse on button while turning the steering wheel to different positions. Do this stationary of course. If it works in some position but not others it probably faulty spiral cable that goes to steering wheel. Other vice it is probably bad stalk.

4. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no check engine light on. Can there be codes set with no check engine light? Are those codes that can be read at an auto parts store?

iPhone ?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As previously suggested, either the cruise control switch is getting flaky or the wiring to the switch has a problem, in particular the spiral cable in the steering wheel.

Are any warning lights on? If not, then there won't be any diagnostic trouble codes to retrieve.

6. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you nailed it! Thank you! It works if I turn it half a turn to the left and further, but it doesn't work from that position to the right. So is the fix to change out the spiral cable?

iPhone ?

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    be very careful of the airbag. there are some clock spring threads here.

9. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where's a good place to pick up a spiral cable?

iPhone ?

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    bshef likes this.
  11. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. What do they call it on these sites? Doesn't seem to come up under spiral cable.

12. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    First go to this site with your VIN and get the right part number. There are at least two different options for my model year, I found out. (On that link, look at part no 84306-xxxxx.) If your car has VSC, you'll have to move the VSC switch from the old housing to the new, a few minutes dealing with plastic snaps. It's an easy job if you can follow proper SRS precautions. I didn't even need a puller for the wheel. You'll need a Torx driver to remove the air bag.

Have you noticed the air recirc switch on the wheel doesn't work any more? That was my first indication the cable was failing. The cruise was second to go.

It's commonly called the clockspring. That'll help you find the threads that I used to changed mine out.

bshef likes this.
  13. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Clock spring?

14. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. Yes, actually I did notice some of the buttons on wheel are not working.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, clock spring. i know, right? lots of threads though. the first time i saw it, i thought it was a joke.:cool:

16. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like with my VIN in there it came up as 84306-48030. So that's the only part I need?

17. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep, that's it and that's all you'll need. You may have noticed cheap knock-offs are available on eBay for around $25, shipped from China. I went that route and it's worked fine for me. Others have reported high failure rates and recommend getting the part from the dealer. It's hard to argue with that since the worst case failure mode could leave the DS airbag out of service for as long as you have to ignore the warning light.

I noticed poor pin quality (on the accessory connector) on the one I bought, and had to straighten one out to make contact. But the SRS pins and terminals looked identical to the original, and there are redundant SRS cables in there, so I feel pretty confident about the life safety aspect and it's been working fine for nearly 25K miles.

#17 andrewclaus, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  18. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the Toyota dealers' online stores are the place to get a real one for the best price?

I've noticed they all have different prices. Is there one that seems to consistently have the lowest prices?