1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius makes buzzing noise at startup

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by denniswcr, Sep 27, 2010.

1. denniswcr

denniswcr New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius with 57,500 miles on it. Some times (not all the time) I get a buzzing sound from under the hood at start up. This noise is a buzzing sound, not the usual whiring sound. This buzzing will continue until the ICE starts. It seems to happen more if the car has sat for a couple of days or the morning is cold. Once the buzzing has stopped, it stays stopped for the rest of the day. I do not think that it is the brake pump since it continues as the car backs out of the garage (on battery) and the brakes are off, but stops at ICE start a few seconds later. Could this be the inverter cooling pump? Thanks Dennis Edson

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

No, the inverter coolant pump runs continuously, so it won't shut off when the ICE starts.

3. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mine makes the same noise. I've always assumed it was fine. Ignorance is bliss!

;)

4. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is normal, it's the car pumping the coolant from the Thermos in fender to the engine. It will only happen if the engine is cold, and the thermos is still warm. (usually after a few days of non-use it will be cold)