1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Makes Clicking Noise near Inverter after Turning Off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BentSpace, Nov 19, 2016.

1. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After I turn off my car, it makes a clicking noise in the engine compartment, which seems to be coming from somewhere in the middle perhaps behind the inverter. The noise sounds familiar, but the thing is now, instead of just making that noise once, it continues to make it about every 30 seconds, without end. If I go get into my car now, it will still be making that noise.

Here's a video of the sound:

Any idea what's going on?

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That's the ABS accumulator. It's loosing pressure and constantly pumping. Search here for information on a recent warranty extension. Hopefully you're covered.

BentSpace likes this.
  3. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, Thank you.

Noticed that it does finally stop, but if I open the door, it starts all over again.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can invoke that noise by pushing on the brake pedal a few times. Since the engine does not run all the time the car need an auxiliary source for brake vacuum so they usesd a motr that generates vacuum. Your hearing that motor. If it runs for a sec an stops thats normal. it does it freq. If it continually runs that infers a leak in the ABS unit and that unit must be replaced, That leak usually has a master warning sign on the mfd and poor brake performance.. You must be new to the car as it is normal for that motor to run briefly all the time.

BentSpace likes this.
  5. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed that it also makes the noise when the car is on. Same every 30 seconds it makes it for about 5 seconds.

I tried pressing the brake and it makes a buzzing noise that is different than the clicking noise, but I noticed that buzz also happens as it is clicking on those 30 seconds intervals. Though it does not making the clicking sound when pressing the brake. Also while pressing the brake there is another squeaking sound.

I had it for almost 2 years now, guess I never really paid close attention to the sounds it makes when braking, probably cause I'm usually listening to something on the radio. Pretty positive though that this clicking sound was not happening every 30 seconds though, whether car is on or off.

Also there is no warning light on dash or MFD.

6. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tried contacting Toyota but couldn't get any info on the warranty extension. Going to try again on Monday.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BentSpace likes this.
  8. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wondering if I would be covered since no warning lights are on yet?

9. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 05 does it too and I found if I really want to drain the battery to zero fast I can turn off the car and keep my foot on the break. I don't recommend sitting in a parking lot doing paperwork with your foot on the break! I think it's the break accumulator but I haven't replaced it. I did replace the engine,transaxle and inverter which did not effect it. The other pump noise is the coolant being pumped into the thermos.

iPhone ?

10. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My dealer wants $100 to diagnose and send claim to warranty. Will I qualify if the light isn't on?
    Just wondering if I should diagnose now or wait till it gets worse and the light comes on.

11. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There's a concurrent thread in which someone got a pending code with no lights and that was enough for the warranty as his or her dealer.

12. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know. Thank you. Like the kind of codes they can read at AutoZone?

13. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Autozone's scanner might not be able to read the Prius ABS codes. Techstream sofware with the Mini VCI cable would be better.

The dealer might still need to verify your car has the pending codes before doing the work, but they might include the diagnosis cost with the warranty work if so indicated.

14. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got a C1241 when I got it read O'Reilly.

They say the diagnose fee will get refunded if I'm covered, otherwise I guess I'm out $100.

Attached Files:

15. Breef

Breef New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I look forward to hearing what your resolution is, please repost once you know what it is!

16. PriusPremi

PriusPremi New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    BentSpace, recently I'am facing the exact same problem with my 2005 Prius. What was your solution? Can you please share with me?