1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Mysteriously Flooded

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rensor1, Nov 17, 2010.

1. rensor1

rensor1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Returning to our home in southern Oregonafter a ten-day vacation (in Hawaii), we found our 2005 Prius with the floor wells flooded with water. The vehicle was not under cover. While we were away, the whether here at home was quite rainy. The vehicle was parked on a slight slant, with the left side on the downhill side. The interior left side footwells (front and back) were flooded with water, with the water level even with the top of the carpet nap (after having removed the floor mats). After sopping up the water with bath towels, I opened the hatch and removed the floor mat, the "floor" of the rear compartment and the storage well covering the spare tire. To my surprise, 3-4 inches of water stood in the bottom of the spare tire well. Upon removing the small battery cover in the right rear corner, I discovered 3-4 inches of water in the bottom of the small battery well, with the battery submerged that far in the water. Of course, I removed the small battery and sponged out that compartment. Also, that portion of the trunk floor forming the upper surface surrounding the tire well still had water residue in the small indentations on that surface, suggesting that the water at one time had been that high.

There has been no rain since I discovered this problem.

I have a theory on the mystery. By the way, all windows were closed and all four doors completely closed and locked. Normally, rain water draining off the vehicle's roof top collects in the channels surrounding the rear hatch opening. Normally, that water drains off somewhere and drops to the ground. Upon inspecting the side channels, I notice a vinyl strip lays in each channel along side each of the tail light/brake light/back-up light lenses. I also noticed water vapor forming on the inside of the clear lens of the uppermost chamber of each lens, but not in any of the chambers below that. Could it be that water coming off the roof and draining down that channel could somehow enter into the interior somewhere along that lens? Or even somewhere along that channel below the lenses? If so, I can envision the water entering at that point, filling up the deep battery well on the right side or into the much shallower well on the left side. After filling up either left or right wells, it drains accross the upper surface surrounding the tire well, filling up the tire well; after the tire well is full, the water moves forward under and around the high voltage battery (whoa!), then further forward into the left footwells, front and back.

Here in southern Oregon (not on the coast, but inland along the I-5 corridor), we get nex-to-no-rain in the summer time and a lot in the fall, winter and spring. On toward the end of spring, body work was done on the left rear quarter panel and the rear bumper cover was replaced. Is it possible that some seam between metal panels was not totally sealed? This seems like the most likely culprit to me.

Tonight, after my wife gets home from work, I'll run a test by using the garden hose to run water down each channel to look for water entering somewhere along there.

Any other thoughts from anyone?

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check the drain from the windshield wiper tray. The drain pipe on this can plug allowing the water spill over and enter near the heater and vent areas. There may be drains around the back hatch area as well. If there is make sure the drain pies are clear as well. H

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume that the reason for this body work was that your car was hit from behind. I also assume that the taillight assemblies were not replaced as part of the repair.

If those assumptions are correct, then I would agree with you that there is a problem with the left rear quarter panel replacement. It might be a panel seam, or it might be that the hatch rubber gasket is not fully sealing.

Regarding the taillight assemblies collecting water vapor in the stoplight portion, my guess would be that they were damaged sufficiently to allow water to enter. I recommend that you have those replaced - else the LED brake lights will probably fail in the future.