1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 prius needs aux input

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by assassinmunky, Aug 8, 2007.

1. assassinmunky

assassinmunky New Member

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here.

I just got a Stiletto Sirius Sat radio for my 2005 prius. It doesnt have an aux input and i dont want to run it through the FM modulator. Can some one please tell me if there is something that i can add to my stereo to make an aux input? I dont have the JBL system, but i didnt transfer the navigation MFD and navigation unit under the drivers seat into this car from a different prius. It does have bluetooth and all that stuff, just no JBL system.

Thanks guys
    Kamil

2. DDanford

DDanford New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(assassinmunky @ Aug 8 2007, 09:14 AM) [snapback]492433[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Kamil,

Check out the sticky thread in the PriusChat Audio and Electronics section:

Sticky: List of Hardware that Positively Works with the Prius

I got a lot of helpful information in there. I have a 2005 Prius also, and installed the PAC AUX-BOX that is mentioned in the thread, with Toyota Y-cable. Works great with my Sirius Sportster 4 with car kit, no crackly FM modulator sound. Although I just had an issue this morning where the Aux-Box stopped functioning for some reason. :angry: Will need to figure that out. Have fun modifying your Prius. :D

3. assassinmunky

assassinmunky New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DDanford @ Aug 8 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]492457[/snapback]</div>

Thanks,

Im just not sure if my prius have a CD changer input as it does not have the 6disc cd changer like other priuses.

Please let me know if this will work without the 6disc cd changer option.

Thanks again

4. DDanford

DDanford New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(assassinmunky @ Aug 8 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]492496[/snapback]</div>
    my 05 Prius did not come with the 6 disc cd changer either, but there is an open port for one on the back of the radio. That is where the Y-cable plugs in, and in turn the Aux-Box plugs into the Y-cable. It basically makes your audio controls treat the Sirius as though it were a cd changer--when in use, your sat radio appears as Disc 1 on your audio display.

I guess if you wanted to verify, you could always disassemble your dash to check if your radio has that open port. Somewhere in the PriusChat audio forums, someone has posted some excellent detailed instructions with photos showing how to do this. I just don't remember where, you will have to do some digging.

5. assassinmunky

assassinmunky New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DDanford @ Aug 8 2007, 02:11 PM) [snapback]492521[/snapback]</div>

I just got an email from where i ordered the AUXBOX:
    can anyone else confirm that this will work on a 2005 prius please?

Thanks,
    Kamil

6. aolm

aolm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have your car and Sirius unit.

My experience with the auxbox was negative. I did the install and was disappointed to hear the sound is very flat. This is a result of the ground loop isolator built into all these aux type interface devices. I have a moderately high end system with infinity speakers and a 50rms 4 channel amp. I also have the stiletto and this is absolutely the best Sirius receiver. The only solution that I found to work was to take the headphone out from the stiletto and run it DIRECTLY into my amp preamp input. The sound is OUTSTANDING. The brilliant thing about the stiletto is that you get volume control as well as all the other great things that come with the unit. I switch over to my ipod again directly into my amp for great results as well. i have my unit mounted on the driver side ac vent.

Forget the factory headunit. There is no way to make it work and get really booming high fidelity sound with any aux input.

The auxbox is fine if you are ok with muddy factory sound. If you buy one the trickiest thing is getting the right y connection to go into the back of your headunit.
    This worked for me http://www.cardomain.com/item/PACAUXBOX a year ago when i went through all this.

7. CAPT Seabee

CAPT Seabee New Member

Take a look at www.vaistech.com.

I use the older AUX unit that has two inputs in my 05 non-JBL One I use for the XM and the other for the MP3. Works very well. There are newer models lately.

There was a thread on the easiest way to get to the back of the head unit to plug these adapters in. I recall removing the vent right of the radio, glove box, and the bolt that holds the large wiring bundle down. You then have room to reach behind the unit to plug the adapter in.

I installed my adapter in the small pull open door on the console and routed the wire bundle for the head unit under the carpet and behind the panel under the dash. All invisible. If you are going to mount the radio in a cup holder type unit on the console, this works great. Power can come from the console 12v outlet.

Lots of ways to do it and plenty of good advice out there.

Warm regards, CAPT Seabee

8. dalmore

dalmore Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aolm @ Oct 20 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]528280[/snapback]</div>
    How do you get antenna and power to your Stiletto without covering the headphone out jack? The car mount I have (SL-V1) blocks the jack.

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base