1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius not starting. Replaced key fob battery already.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zandy27, Aug 28, 2017.

1. zandy27

zandy27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the problem. My wife has a 2005 Prius and we went out yesterday and it wouldn't start. Doors lock and unlock and interior lights work. When you insert the key fob nothing happens. The only light that shows is the car with the key on the dash (antitheft maybe) any ideas would be much appreciated. I know a bit about cars but haven't had to do much to the Prius before. I tried replacing the key fob battery because that had been getting weak but it didn't change anything.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how is the 12v health?

3. zandy27

zandy27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's reading 12.6 volts. I'm gonna pull it tomorrow and test it and I guess go from there.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12.6 is okay if the car has been off for a few hours. if that's the case, maybe time to start checking fuses.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When the key is inserted in the key slot, the car communicates with an imbedded RFID chip inside the key fob (power for the chip is by induction, so independent of the fob battery) to disable the immobiliser. The fact the immobiliser light continues to flash indicates (to me) the RFID chip may be faulty or any of the associated pieces.

Two questions:
    1. Has the fob case been replaced recently?
    2. do you have the other key fob to try to see if it behaves differently?
    Let us know how you get on.

fotomoto likes this.