1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Production

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LeStarTech, Aug 1, 2004.

1. LeStarTech

LeStarTech New Member

This is from my dealer who has always been straight up with me.

The first day of 2005 model year Prius production is 8/23/04, so we should start seeing 2005s on allocation in late September or early October, with Units arriving at the dealership for delivery mid to late October.

Just thought I would pass this along to any who were wondering when the 2005's start production/arrival.

:D

2. Dianne

Dianne New Member

That time line makes sense for the other coast... but if you are in CA or anywhere on the west coast or have an order in with a dealership on the west coast, the 2005's will hit our shores and, subsequently, our dealerships right around the tail end of September.

Dianne

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Diane:

Do you know if the msrp of the 2005 Prius will increase? I gather that there will be no changes between the 2004 and 2005 model.

4. Dianne

Dianne New Member

$$$ I think so

I expect it to increase quite a bit -- as compared to what other cars tend to increase (and some decrease in the sense that they make things standard that WERE optional, such as ABS in the case of the Camrys, that sort of thing).... I hear nothing that's confirmed yet but I betcha it goes up at least 3%. If they WERE making a lot on that car, profit-wise, like they do the SUVs and trucks, you'd have seen production increase long ago! After all, business IS business.

Di

:D

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: $$$ I think so

Back the to the no one REALLY knows, but my dealer said it was going to be $500 more. That is what she wrote my quote up for. FWIW.

Alpha

6. RWood

RWood New Member

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Following Diane's reasoning, if production is going to increase substantially, it makes sense to increase the msrp so as to increase profits accordingly.

8. konakahuna

konakahuna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    playing devil's advocate...toyota already got a $300 increase on most of their models last year. the last thing they would want to do is generate bad PR by taking financial advantage of people who have been on waiting lists for the better part of a year. the anti-hybrid media would love to run with that story...."first they waited 8 months for their cars, and now toyota is thanking customers with the 2rd major price increase this year." ouch.

i think it probably makes more sense to say there will be a nominal increase and toyota will widen it's internal profit margin through volume supplier discounts on prius specific parts, like the battery pack. if they can save a few hundred per car, that's pretty significant...

9. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Global production

That uppage for production is global. Not USA. I have no idea how many countries are getting Prius, but that production will have to be divided up between quite a few places. And, to obtain more batteries (remember, they still have the Highlander hybrid, and the Lexus to obtain battery supply for) their costs are increased.

Now, here's their dilemma. Would you rather take a publicity hit on a car you make next to nothing on (that's 2004 Prius) or just make a ton of Highlander SUVs that you are planning to make a ton of $$ on because you have yet to announce pricing on it. I pray we all see 2x the amount of Prius sent to this continent right away, but plain fact is that those publicity blurbs about upping production do more harm long term than good because everyone thinks we as dealers will suddenly have tons of cars coming. I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dianne :roll:

10. RWood

RWood New Member

Nicely put (and read), Dianne. I had originally read the release believing it to say TMS (North America) had negotiated the increase w/TMC, thus assuming the increased production would come to North America.

Appreciate your interpretation.