1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius, pulled radio fuse, put radio fuse back not working

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by badchess666, Dec 20, 2013.

1. badchess666

badchess666 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I've got a 2005 Prius with the 6 cd player (#56838).

It is holding tight to three library disks, with all the cd lights on.

I though if I interrupted power it might help, and couldn't hurt.

Well, maybe I was wrong about the latter point.

I pulled the dome fuse from the left of the steering wheel.
    Started the car.
    Shut the car off.
    Put the fuse back in.
    Started the car

Power to that section of the dashboard (radio/clock/display) is still off. Did the fuse go bad in the removel process or something?

Does the fuse have a correct way to go in?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It does sound like you may have blown the fuse. Pull the fuse and look at the link in the middle and see if there is a break in the link. If so then you need to get another fuse.

As long as you put the fuse back in the same way it came out, and it is seated properly, it should work. It does not matter which way you turn the fuse as long as the male tabs slide in to the female slots of the fuse holder.

3. badchess666

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a new fuse and it powered up the cd player.

The shutdown seemed to have helped, as when I tried to switch cd's it actually made a whining noise instead of nothing at all. Then I gave it a short sharp shock, and it started spitting out the cd's.

So powering down worked, though I must have damaged the fuse removing it. All is well now though. Hooray, and thanks for the help.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  4. badchess666

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops, all is not well. I was able to get it to eject the library cd's, but it no longer loads cd's.

I called a toyota dealer and replacement cost is $575 or so. ouch.

I can find the cd player on e-bay, is it complicated to switch it out with the same model? For someone with 8 thumbs, and a limited understanding of the screwdriver?

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lol on the "I gave it a short sharp knock". Old school, huh? :D

If you had some difficulties with removing and replacing a fuse, removing dash trim and radio components are much more technical. There are many different kinds of fasteners involved. I wouldn't recommend it for a novice, especially if you have more than 2 thumbs. ;)

SCH-I535

6. badchess666

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I ordered a radio from the local dealer in mid December. Haven't heard back from them.

Universal Toyota - San Antonio, TX | Yelp

So I've given up. I do note that on e-bay there is a company that repairs these radios.

Is it OK to ask if there is anybody in San Antonio who might care to make $20 (and my eternal thanks) to remove the radio for me?