1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 prius refrigerant oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by statultra, Aug 14, 2006.

1. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i recharged my a/c compressor on my 2005 prius, i can guess there was still some or very little oil in the system since the lines hold a vaccum, but for safety i would like the refrigerant oil, ND 11, very hard to find for me, i went to the toyota dealer, but they dont have it, if anyone knows the part number, and or a friend at a dealer that could get it for me would be very appreciated.

btw, the electric compressor rocks, it cools the cabin down fast, and its quiet sometimes.

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why did your A/C leak? That is, why did you add refrigerant? I assume you used R-134a?

I've got a 1994 Camry with the original refrigerant; I run the A/C every month and it still works great.

I'd love to hear the story. Was the car in a crash? Did you replace the receiver-dryer?

How long did you pull a vacuum on the system? How long did it hold?

Nate

3. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oops i forgot to mention that this car was a salvaged vehicle, i had replaced the a/c condensor and other front end parts, it held the vaccum for more than 30 minutes, after i recharged it it worked perfectly, im just cautious about damaging the compressor, thats why i would like to find out where i could buy the oil.

btw i think the dryer is located on the condensor unit, on the right side if you are looking at it from the front, when i bought my new condensor it came with the dryer. I did something bad also, when i was recharging it i overcharged it at one point, and something that amazed me it had some sort of a over pressure valve, that blew out the excess refrigerant, something i havent seen on most cars.

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This makes a lot more sense! Did you have to replace the blown pressure valve? On many cars it's made of brass and is "disposable." Does the compressor make noise now? Or does it sound okay?

You should be able to buy oil at any parts store (with a small shot of R-134a to push it in). Use hot water (submerge the can the hole time), add the can to the low side while the system is running. Be sure to hold the can so the oil is at the hole in the can! (Hold the can upside down). There is a slight risk of slugging the compressor (destroying it) if you do it this way (because compressors can't compress a liquid), but you don't have a lot of choice unless you evacuate the system and start over, putting the oil in first.

If the compressor isn't noisy, there is a good chance a large amount of oil remained in the system.

Good luck with your decision.

Nate

5. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there isnt any noise that much, ND 11 oil i could not find at any auto parts store, they say its required in hte toyota manual, for what reason god knows. I would just use some good ol ester oil, but i dont want to risk damaging the a/c compressor, i just dont know where i could find just a tiny bit to be safe, other than that it works great right now i dont see or hear any problems, on hot days though the compressor sound is more noticeable.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I checked the repair manual, it only lists the oil as ND-Oil11. You have to use 11 versus 08 because the 11 is designed for high voltage applications.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH might have a part number written down at work. will check.

ND11 does not conduct electricity- it's needed because the compressor is electric.

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    part numbers:

250 mL container: 08885-09127
    40 mL container: 08885-09129

9. sand0

sand0 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 22 2006, 09:50 AM) [snapback]307492[/snapback]</div>
    Are You sure that this part numbers are for ND11 not ND8 ?

Howmuch ND11 I need for the prius 2th gen?

Also do anyone know what type of fluyd is filled in the tank that is screw for the A/C invertor?

I bought front damaged PRIUS 2th gen. and I had to remove the radiator and compresor to repair it.
    But I bought the car whitout user guide book.
    And I'm in a country where toyota still don't sell prius.

Thanks

10. sand0

sand0 New Member

And this "magic" oil is preaty EXPENSIVE!!!

250 mL container: 08885-09127 116$
    40 mL container: 08885-09129 87$

I never heard of so expensive oil :)

11. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Question: (while we're talking about compressors)

In the past one of the many failure points of an auto A/C system was the compressor shaft seal. I don't think it is as common with modern autos today but I assume it still happens occasionally.

So with the Prius compressor being electric and not relying on and external belt for its power, is the electric motor driving the compressor "hermetically" sealed with the compressor similar to a household refrigerator? Or is the electric compressor motor located "externally" of the compressor where a seal failure (the shaft seal from the compressor motor to the actual compressor) would lead to R-134 loss?

Rick
    2006 #4

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the motor is inside the compressor and the whole unit is sealed. The electric motor uses 200 volt or system voltage and not boost voltage. The reason for the special oil.

13. sand0

sand0 New Member

No one know what type of fluyd is filled in the tank that is screw for the A/C invertor? ??
    And howmuch ND 11 I need?

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    can look into amount of ND11 needed, not quite sure what you're looking for with the first question. can you clarify please?

15. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the container that's bolted to the side of the inverter has Toyota Super Long Life Coolant in it. There's a full mark on the side of it.

16. sand0

sand0 New Member

How much and where should I fill ND 11? is it circulate only in the compressor itself or goes trough the invertor too?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 7 2006, 09:44 PM) [snapback]316132[/snapback]</div>

17. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the 2nd generation toyota prius has ND 11 oil, im pretty surei t doesnt usemuch, considering my 05 a/c compressor still has oil after the crash. Whats cool is the 2005 prius has a overpressure valve, that vents out excess r134a in the case of overcharge, i didnt buy a ounce can of the refrigerant i charged it up with liquid first until the car bled the rest out, then i ran the compressor until all the excess refrigerant was vented.

18. Dylanss180

Dylanss180 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey guys I am new to this forum. I have a 2004 salvage prius and I had to replace the front condenser/heat exchanger. I started refilling my prius last weekend and it seemed to take forever to start filling. After about 10 minutes only a small portion of the refill container was used and the compressor was starting to get hot. So, my question is where do you fill the oil for the compressor and how long should it take to refill?

I pulled a vaccuum on the system for over an hour. The compressor wasn't that noisy but it was getting pretty hot. I got worried so I stopped filling the A/C.

Can anyone help me out here?