1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius - replacing catalytic converter at 85,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by "toto princess", Jul 1, 2008.

1. "toto princess"

"toto princess" New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Am just past 85,000 miles on my 2005 Prius (I have a long commute...)

I bought my car in April 2005, absolutely LOVE it and have had no problems with it whatsoever until now.

I took it in today for routine service and inspection. Over the past couple of weeks, the "check engine" light has been coming on for short periods of time. It never stayed on and I knew it was time for service, so I figured I would get it checked when I went in. It came back on today before I went to the dealer.

They ran the computer and said that there were several "bugs" but that the real problem was the catalytic converter and that it needed to be replaced. The cost was approx $1,500. I have had all of my service done at this dealer, so they ended up offering to pay half of the total, so that I would pay approx $750 total for parts and labor. They are ordering the part so the work can be done next week. Of course my warranty for the catalytic converter is 8yrs/80,000, so no help there.

Is this a common problem? Is this a reasonable price? Any thoughts or suggestions?

The helpful folks at Prius Online suggested that the real problem might be a failing 12 v battery.

Can you suggest anything else I need to think about before I go back to the dealer?

I live in a small town where people aren't very comfortable with the Prius, so I have always taken it to the nearest dealer so a certified Prius technician could work on it. They have always been pleasant and helpful, but I have always paid for all of the extra service, etc., so they had no reason not to be! Perhaps they are being straight with me, but I don't feel very confident in their assessment and feel totally at their mercy...

Thanks for your help!

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do you know the actual codes that they pulled from your car? That might help with the assessment of whether the catalytic converter is actually bad or not.

I think it is unusual for a car with 85,000 to have a worn out converter, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. When replacing the converter, they should check to make sure the engine control system is working properly and won't cause the next converter to fail too.

$1500 is a lot, but the Prius converter is different than a standard converter in shape and location, so part of the cost is due to the uniqueness of the part.

3. Mouth

Mouth New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    $1500, no wonder people are stealing them out from under parked cars. Yikes! Hopefully the wizards on this site can save you some money and figure out what those expensive "bugs" are.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i see you posted they did a fuel injector cleaning at 75k- that is probably too far in the past to be causative. well... it's a tough call, and you can't really prove it at this point. definitely not a failing 12v battery causing that code.

ask if they'll pick up the cost of the part if you'll pick up the rest of the cost (labor, shop fees, etc.) cats burning out in a prius are rare- they usually go because they're overworked or inundated with oil. the prius does neither.

ask for the old cat back from them and we'll give ya $20 for it. heck, we might even be able to pick it up since you're also in central nc.

5. "toto princess"

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for your input!

So could someone explain to me how the check-engine light works? I don't understand why it keeps going on and off. (It's off again today.)

I guess I would have thought if the catalytic converter was bad, the light would stay on. And I don't understand why the other codes don't matter. ("throttle actuator control sys - stuck open", "immobilizer malfunction", "solar sensor circuit (pass side)", "body ECU communication stop", "smart key ECU communication stop", and "combination meter ECU communication stop")

I think I am just frustrated with the dealership because I don't understand the situation. They are so into the "customer service" deal that I always feel "handled". I certainly understand why the technicians can't spend their day talking to the owners, but the customer service guys don't seem to know anything about my car, and i don't have any way of knowing if the technician does. I got the impression that the "head" of the shop was Prius certified, and that he would do the catalytic converter replacement, but does that mean he hasn't been doing all of my other work? and does that matter?

It seemed like they were so quick to decide it was the catalytic converter and then very quick to say they would pay half. It made me wonder. I feel like either I don't really need the catalytic converter replaced or else they looked at my records and saw what a good "sucker" I was to pay for all of the extra service and were afraid that might disappear. I guess it is sad that I am that suspicious, and can't trust that they might be trying to help me out...

Galaxee - if they replace the converter I will be happy to save the old one for you. I live down towards Charlotte (and go to the dealer in Concord)...

bkcriz20 likes this.
  6. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For some codes, the light will come on and stay on until the code is cleared. For other codes, the light will come on, but if the problem is not detected again within a certain time period (usually defined by the number of drive cycles) then the light will go off until the problem is detected again.

For your P0420 code, the test is run once per drive cycle (problem detected) and the MIL light (check engine light) will stay on for 2 drive cycles and then go off if the problem is not detected again.

[​IMG]

Your other problem codes could be actually problems, or they might be caused by someone who did not run the scan tool properly (e.g. didn't plug it into the DLC all the way) and got a communication error. You didn't post the actual code numbers, but all of the descriptions except for the first one are related to communication errors.

My dealership (that I bought my car from) works like this too. They only allow you to talk to the Service Advisor, not the actual tech that works on your car. And they take your car to the back of the facility, so you can't see if they are working on it or not. The Service Advisor I had was an idiot; he wasn't even a good liar, so I stopped taking my car to them.

Attached Files:

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, its appearance depends on the usage patterns of the cat converter.

that throttle plate code is a problem. it could be that someone pushed the throttle butterfly open while the car was on and that registered as a code. it could be the throttle plate needs to be cleaned.

need to know the code number (letter and 4 numbers) for the immobilizer malfuction.

all those communication errors are common- nothing wrong there. also the solar sensor circuit. that means the car was indoors when they checked the codes.

the diagnosis is pretty simple. that code means that the catalytic converter is bad, there is no arguing or discussion about that code. P0420 means cat converter.

they don't usually offer to pay half- which is why you can probably the cost of the part out of them if you pay for labor. they probably feel there's something they did to contribute to that- a little guilt about how they performed that fuel injection service maybe? :/ at any rate, get what you can out of em, you've been a good customer to them and they want to keep you.

thanks!

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Galaxee,

Referring to the repair manual page that dogfriend posted above, note that the possible reasons for P0420 include an exhaust leak, a bad air/fuel ratio sensor upstream, a bad oxygen sensor downstream, or the catalytic converter. Also note that the catalytic converter is listed last.

Compare to my 2005 repair manual where the catalytic converter is first in the list of possible problems. I am wondering whether the editing on dogfriend's page was intended to discourage catalytic converter replacement prior to ruling out all other possible causes.

Hi toto princess,

It may be worth your while to inquire whether your tech followed the procedure to test the air/fuel ratio sensor and verified its proper operation. If that sensor had failed, its replacement would cost much less than the catalytic converter.

9. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think if the tech is thorough, they would look at the response of the downstream O2 sensor (voltage vs time) to see if it tracks with the upstream sensor or not. If it tracks the upstream sensor that would indicate that the cat is not working (that is what the ECU does when it runs the test). The ECU could get fooled by an exhaust leak or a bad O2 sensor, so the tech should rule those causes out.

Another test would be for the tech to put a probe in the tailpipe, essentially doing a smog test to see if the HC and NOx are elevated or not.

10. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am attaching all 7 pages for P0402 (don't tell Toyota). Basically the troubleshooting says to address any other codes first, rule out any exhaust leaks, then rule out a problem with the upstream sensor, then rule out a problem with the downstream sensor, if it isn't any of these, replace the cat.

Attached Files:

11. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    cat clogged at 85k on a prius which uses motor half the time.... i'm going to have to call BS on this one... i really doubt that it's your cat... anyhow if it's your cat.. there are exhaust stores that will replace it for less than 300 ....

I'd go with O2 sensor before your cat... 98percent sure it's not your cat... unless you got a rat suck in there = )

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What, nobody likes the failing 12V battery suggestion? We've seen many cases in which the low voltage of a failing 12V battery in a car of this age causes the computers to report random, intermittent, and false errors. It would be a mistake to buy a new cat before eliminating a much simpler and cheaper possibility.

Toto, it kinda sounds like you should get a second opinion from another Toyota dealer.

13. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If the tech is following the troubleshooting procedure, they are supposed to verify the battery voltage as one of the initial steps.

Also, the P0402 test is only run when certain conditions are satisfied; one of those conditions is a minimum battery voltage. So, it doesn't seem likely to get the P0402 code from a failing battery.

The other codes could be related to a flakey battery.

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the other codes are normal things that happen in day to day operations. ie, you press start button without sks present (or not detected.) you see these on a very regular basis but they do not kick a cel. they are not indicative of a problem including low 12v.

the reason DH is fairly sure that the problem is indeed the cat is:
    1. she had a fuel injector cleaner run through the system recently.
    2. dealership didn't even have to be asked to step up and offer part of the cost.

first things first, efi cleaners are usually linked to premature cat failures in a prius. since the engine does not normally run while the car just sits like other cars, the tech will commonly just stomp on the gas pedal to run the cleaner through. this overheats and melts the catalyst, leading to imminent failure.

secondly, the part is indeed about $1500. do you think the dealer would offer to eat half that cost UP FRONT if they weren't fairly certain that the problem was that expensive part, or that they probably had some causative role in the failure? remember this is not warranty- this comes right out of their profits. also, she could probably push them a little and get them to eat the entire part cost since they are in damage-control mode.

there are no other codes related to failures in the A/F sensor or O2 sensor present in this situation. DH has never, ever seen a P0420 without other related codes, that wasn't a cat. take that how you will.

if you want i can bring him back to the topic tonight when he gets home, but he's said what he has to say and it's not like this is something he hasn't gone through before.

15. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So the moral of the story is don't let the shop talk you into a fuel injector cleaning unless you are actually having issues related to dirty fuel injectors. Which you probably won't have unless you are using bad gas (gas which doesn't have a good detergent package).

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hence the warning in http://priuschat.com/forums/care-ma...70-what-services-you-need-what-you-don-t.html:
    "since it doesn't idle, most techs will get in and stomp on the gas pedal until the EFI cleaner runs its course. this leads to a condition called "blinky check engine light" which means that you have overheated your catalyst and are in serious danger of melting the insides of your catalytic converter."

17. "toto princess"

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks again for all of the information!

The light was off again today, so I managed to get my car inspected, which takes a little of the pressure off. I know I have to get the problem taken care of, but at least I don't have to worry about getting a ticket in the meantime. The dealer still hasn't called me to say the part is in. Now, with the holiday, it will be next week, at least.

I may end up getting a second opinion from another place, but what Galaxee says about the dealer totally makes since. All along it has been the dealer's behavior that has made me uncomfortable. If they feel guilty about the fuel injector cleaning, that would explain it.

They were so quick to offer half, and initially I was grateful (and still in shock!) Then the customer service guy wanted me to meet his boss so I could "thank her in person". She looked very uncomfortable and mumbled something about $1,500 being "a lot to pay at one time" and couldn't get out the door fast enough. It was very strange.

So, I have learned a lot already, thanks to all of your input. I will print out the list of necessary maintenance for future reference and avoid all of the other crap. I knew some of what I was getting was overkill, but never thought it would cause harm. And I will pay a lot more attention to what they are doing and ask a lot more questions. I will keep you posted about what happens next.

Thanks again!

18. "toto princess"

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    By the way, if it is my catalytic converter, do I need to limit/stop driving even if the light isn't on? The customer service guy said it was fine to drive until they replaced it...

19. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yeah, you can keep driving it. your emissions are higher, but it won't hurt the drivetrain any.

20. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    OK..This raises a question....with E10 fuel....I was under the impression that one of the benefits of E10 is that it cleans the injectors as a byproduct of being used. Is this right? If this is the case, why ever do an injector cleaning service?