1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius smart key or not?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Daniel Near, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Daniel Near

Daniel Near New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just purchased a used 2005 Prius from a Toyota dealer. I also have a 2008 prius that does have smart key, so I am familiar with how it works. My "new" 2005 came with just one key fob, which has the same silver Toyota logo on the back as my 2008 keys. My driver, passenger and hatch all have the smart key "lock" button. If I press the lock/unlock buttons on the key fob, it does activate the door locks properly. But the car acts as if it doesn't have smart key functionality (nothing happens at either driver, passenger or rear hatch when pressing the lock button with the key next to the handle, nor do any of the doors unlock when inserting my hand in the touch sensors. I also have to insert the key in the dash in order to start the car. this car appears to be a lower or base model. No nav, no bluetooth, single CD, no aux input, only 2 buttons on each side of the display and the Info screen is missing many of the options, such as maintenance records that are present in the 2008 model. Is it possible for the car to have the SKS door handles and key fob yet smart key isn't installed? Or is it possible that the smart key module is broken but I can still drive the car?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    as I understand it, there should be a button of some sort under the steering wheel that turns the sks on and off. You might just have yours switched off.

salguod, James4455 and Daniel Near like this.
  3. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's got the black square lock buttons on the front doors and hatch, it should have SKS.

There should be a button under the steering wheel to enable or disable SKS. Try pressing that once (the other button down there should be to reset the tire pressure sensor).

Daniel Near likes this.
  4. Daniel Near

Daniel Near New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1.. pwn3d by the "key" button. YAY! Looks like the 2005 don't have TPMS (no button there).. My 2008 does.

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are correct, the 2005 does not have TPMS but glad to hear you got your smart key working.