1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius trouble shooting a (possible) bad inverter water pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 05 Prius NY, Jul 30, 2023.

1. 05 Prius NY

05 Prius NY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So my car has 199k miles. The last time the pump was changed is unknown. So I’m trying to see if this pump is the problem or if the inverter/converter itself failed. The car drives sluggish and sounds like it’s whining with low power. At 1st, all the warning lights we’re on but after I took it to a mechanic to get it diagnosed, just the check engine and the red light is on so he probably cleared some of the codes but those 2 lights remain. He told me I need a complete inverter/converter assembly, not just the top piece that they sell on ebay for $200. I’m starting to doubt his diagnosis and I will scan the car myself tomorrow and see what I get. Also, I found that leaving the car running and checking the coolant for a turbulence can help with diagnosing the root of the issue. Basically, if there is no coolant turbulence while the car is running, then that points to the fact that the inverter water pump has failed. My question is, when your pump failed, what warming lights did you see? Tomorrow, I will be checking for a “P0A93” code as well as the coolant reservoir near the inverter/converter and go from there.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The little green car on the center display screen right up next to the word consumption Is that car green or red?

3. 05 Prius NY

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will check this tomorrow also. You must know what must colors mean. Might as well drop both sides of the coin.

#3 05 Prius NY, Jul 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2023
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If it's red that means there's a problem when you drive the car all the time or every time you're driving it that little car that's next to the C and word consumption is green . When there is a problem that's not good that car will turn red and maybe an exclamation point will run through it. The first thing you do when that happens is pull over if you want to leave the car on wonderful set the parking brake if you do that sort of thing pull the hood release get out of the car open the reservoir of the pink fluid . You'll notice the level will rise in millimeter to as you take the cap off and it'll make a little suck noise while looking down in that hole you should see the coolant moving wafting across the opening. If not put the cat back on whip off the top of your fuse box assembly and check the AM2 fuse Is it blown? Third thing to do is write to the side of where you put the bulb in the left headlight which is the driver side in America there are three goal screws 2 5/8 hoses and a gold bracket that generally you can see clearly that is the pump that pumps the inverter fluid put your hand on that pump if the fuse wasn't blown the car next to the C is red you didn't see inverter fluid moving put your hand on the pump is it vibrating? If not more than likely you're inverter pump is no good The next move is to get it off and check the plug at the inverter pump from the car see if it or the receptacle on the pump is damaged and you'll probably have all your answers Good luck.

05 Prius NY likes this.
  5. 05 Prius NY

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I plugged in my scanner and it can’t read the code because the check engine and red triangle are lit together. My scanner will not read the red triangle but I do think my inverter water pump is fine since I can see some turbulence in the coolant reservoir as well as feel the coolant circulating through the pipe.

6. 05 Prius NY

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:
    I got the report for my car. They are as follows.

P0A7A
    P0A92

Tombukt2 likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What it means has had to keep getting explained for something like a year now.

It means that a little red-car "problem with the hybrid system" icon has popped up; it will pop up in the top left, over whatever page you're currently viewing on the display. It looks a little different depending on the type of MFD in the car:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In either version, you can tell it's being superimposed on the page behind it: notice how the older version even has some edge shading to make it look thick, and how it partly covers the E on the Energy Monitor page behind it. In the newer version, notice how it appears within a black banner that cuts off a little of everything across the top of the page you were looking at.

Now it turns out that some of the MFD pages—not all of them, but some of them—happen to have a little green car in the top left corner, just as part of the artwork for those specific pages. Again, it looks a little different in the older and newer models, but in both versions that displayed page has a little green car in the corner:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So the upshot is, if the hybrid system warning happens to pop up on top of whatever page you're looking at, and the page you're looking at happens to be one with a little green car in the corner, then it can look a little bit (if you're not paying much attention) like a green-car-turning-red sort of deal.

Of course it's really just a red-car-drawn-over-the-page deal, no matter what page you were looking at.

And the red car icon drawn over the page is telling you the same thing as the red triangle in the instrument cluster, which is that a suitable code scanner will show you trouble codes about what is wrong with the car.

We have a thread about different tools that are able to read those codes.

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

#7 ChapmanF, Jul 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2023
    05 Prius NY likes this.
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Now go to the back of your car remove the trim from the hybrid battery You've got to get into the end of the case that houses the relays and the battery ECU It's an orange plug to the side of the relays that are connected and run the power from the HV battery up to the front of the car so you need to have the safety plug disconnected the top off of that end of the battery which I believe is the standing in front of the battery at the back of the car will be the left side of that silver case You need to access that you'll see the battery ECU it has an orange plug take that orange plug out of the battery ECU and look at the plug and look at the pins in the ECU with a flashlight see if there's any pins that are corroded half broken etc same thing with the plug You're looking for dirty nasty corrosion etc If there's any signs of any of that clean it up If pins are broken in the ECU you'll need to remove it run by LKQ or any hybrid battery repair station and they'll have plenty of them laying around they may even give it to you. And that may give you a clue I mean hell at the top of the game could be MG one of the motor generators are the motor generator inside the transmission is fubar there are a bunch of sensors on the transmission that go through the transmission housing little plugs attached to them it's a real lot of nonsense but there's lots to be tested and played with but a lot of times it is simply corrosion on the plug and the socket on that ECU check it out.

9. 05 Prius NY

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine has a red car. I do have that symbol on my 2005. It's an overheating symbol.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Overheating is one of the couple hundred reasons it can come on, yes.