1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by vanessab223, Jun 6, 2007.

1. vanessab223

vanessab223 New Member

Hey there! This is my first time in this chat room! I have a 2005 Prius and loooove it! But it is the basic package because that was all I could afford at the time. (Obviously.)

Can we upgrade the system? For example, can we install bluetooth? There is that new law about using hands-free phones, but I hate those ear-thingys. They make my ears hurt. I would rather upgrade the system if it's possible.

I certainly can't trade it in to upgrade it - I have a well-used diamond lane sticker for my 45 mile commute!

Has anyone upgraded? If so, how did it go and where'd you go, etc.

Thanks!
    Vanessa

2. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vanessab223 @ Jun 6 2007, 03:15 AM) [snapback]456381[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to Priuschat

I am afraid that the only easy way to add bluetooth is going to be an aftermarket upgrade. For the factory to do it, it would be fantastically expensive. The unit that houses the bluetooth comes with the navigation and JBL audio system...you would be paying $2500 or more before you were done.

For aftermarket systems, try http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/jdm/prius/prius0405.php , down near the bottom of the page you will find info regarding bluetooth-handsfree systems.

Good luck,
    Dave

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree w/F2W. I'd suggest looking into some of the nice TomTom units that'll give you NAV and BT in an easy to install dash unit...it'll run you around $700, but that'll be a lot cheaper than any OEM system you could ever get installed in your Prius.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Several companies make hands-free car kits. Some are Bluetooth and some are wired, plugging into your phone and charging it as well as providing hands free answering. The least safe thing to do with a car and phone is to place a call while moving. You can minimize the distraction by setting up the speed-dials in your phone so pushing only one button will dial a frequently called number. The most important thing you can do in your car is to drive it safely.

5. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    An office mate of mine just bought a reconditioned TomTom Nav unit with Bluetooth for $300 through EBay. She loves it.

6. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Motorola makes a really nice handsfree Bluetooth kit called the HF850. It has voice recognition, so it will dial numbers by simply speaking the name of person you are calling. You have to hardwire it into your car, but it is not that difficult. Amazon has the HF850 for $99.95: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-HF850-Delux...r/dp/B0009835UA

If you don't want to deal with wiring, they also offer one that plugs into your accessory outlet called the HF820. It lacks the voice dialing, but is only $69.99: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-HF820-Easy-...9605385-4156829

7. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faith2walk @ Jun 6 2007, 01:12 AM) [snapback]456394[/snapback]</div>
    Just for the record, my 06 Pkg #6 has Bluetooth, but no Nav. It does have the upgraded JBL. Bluetooth is a good thing, but I don't know if it lives in the radio, or is separate. It appears to not be part of Nav. option, though.