1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius with triangle of death with some power loss & rear fan on.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Worldclass422, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Worldclass422

Worldclass422 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone, thanks in advance for your insight & help. I'm sorry if this has been discussed previously.

I have a 2005 Prius that has been very reliable! With the exception of oil changes, brakes & tires I've only needed to replace the Inverter Cooler Pump, which was under recall (about 40K miles ago).

Without any prior problems, the triangle of death came on along with the other dash alarm lights. I noticed an immediate great power loss & the fan behind the rear seat came on.

I stopped the car & let it sit about 30 minutes. It started right up & I drove it home. It felt sluggish & the max was 50 or so , I didn't want to push it, so I stayed below 45 mph. It had very little power, the engine ran constantly, with no battery assist. The drive home was approx 40 minutes. When I tried to start it a few hours later, it started immediately. The warning lights are still on, it runs rough upon start and the rear fan comes on immediately.

I've taken it to my local garage, but they were not able to pull the codes. My local dealer wants $100. to pull the codes, which I'm alright paying but I would like to have some idea of what I'm looking at for a repair before I take it to the dealer, as I need to save up the repair money in advance, if it it will exceed what I have on hand. I'm not meaning to whine here, just have had most of the family laid off & the credit cards are at the max, so I need to budget for this repair.

Can you give me your thoughts? Thanks a million!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a traction battery failure, but the DTC are needed to confirm this guess.

3. Worldclass422

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Patrick, Thanks for the speedy reply. I have a couple of questins.

1) I wasn't sure if the low power & the rough running could be a result of the triangle of death & the warning lights having triggered an override to prevent driving too fast & damaging 'something"
    • In times past, my Chrysler mini-van wouldn't let me go over about 35 (dealer refered to it as a computer triggered govenor) when the warning lights came on, does the prius do the same thing?

2) I wasn't sure if maybe the Invertor might be bad or maybe I have a problem with the system not cooling the battery. If it were a case of overheating the battery, would it be running normally once it cooled off or would it remain as-is until the computer is re-set?

3) A friend suggested that I find out how to reset the computer at the fuse box, to see if the car still runs badly, with the triangle of death off.

• I have some electrical experience but I'm obviously not an auto tech. I can follow some directions for mid-level repairs, if you know where I can get some info to follow. Will disconnecting the starter battery for 30 minutes or so reset the computer?
    Thanks!

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How many soc bars are showing and what color? Is your 12v battery over 12V. It seams strange to me a pack would just all of a sudden fail, but stranger things have happened I suppose! Maybe the cooling system is clogged that cools the pack IE rat nest! H

5. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1) When the car finds something wrong with itself it will run differently. I wouldn't call it a governor, but might feel similar.

2) You could have a defective inverter pump, bad hybrid battery, or several other possibilities.

3) Disconnecting the battery for a minute will most likely mask the problem for a little while. It would likely run fine for a while then do the same thing again. You will also loose the chance to read the codes until it happens again, if it happens again.

I have a few questions for you.

1) Where in CA are you?

2)How many miles are on your car?

3) Has your inverter water pump been replaced?

[email protected] likes this.
  6. Worldclass422

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Harold,
    Yes I also thought it was strange that it would go bad without any warning. This is my 4th Prius & I had to replace the Traction Battery in my 2001. It gave me indication of problems before it went belly up!

It currently has 3 green bars & it's charging. When I was driving it home, it had low bars but I don't remember if it was green or not.

I will check tomorrow to see if the cooling vent is clogged & I will pull out the spare to check the fan & see if it has any "rats nest" or something. That is a good suggestion!

I'll also check the 12v battery. I hadn't thought of that.

You've given me a couple of things to check out. I appreciate your thoughts!

I'll report back later.

7. Worldclass422

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Patrick,

1) I'm in southern California, in Orange County.

2) It has 165.000 miles on it.

3) The pump was replaced about 40K miles ago, as per Toyota recall.

Thanks for your information. I was concerned that maybe it had a cooling problem, which may have triggered the fan. would that make any sense to you?

8. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With the hot weather we've been having I've been hearing that fan quite often. Unfortunately your battery is out of warranty. The best thing to do is read the code(s) and go from there. I could read them for you for much less than $100, but I'm at the other end of Los Angeles. Without knowing the codes, we would just be speculating. Also, a doubt the inverter pump would fail so soon.